• Welcome to Overclockers Forums! Join us to reply in threads, receive reduced ads, and to customize your site experience!

Upgrade Old/Backup PC

Overclockers is supported by our readers. When you click a link to make a purchase, we may earn a commission. Learn More.

thobel

I have my backup gaming pc specs:

Asus R3E
980x
3x GTX480's
2x 256Gb Corsair GT SSD
12Gb Corsair GT 1866 cl9
Corsair 800D
All water cooled with Koolance

I'm thinking about removing all the water cooling gear and swapping with a
Corsair H105 and replacing the 3 480's with an aircooled 970 or 980

The questions:

1) Will the 980x be fine for the GTX980/970
2) Will I get at least = results from a single GTX980/970 vs the tri Sli 480's

a 980 should match or just edge out 3 480s. Don't expect a massive improvement though. Yes the 980 (if you have it at atleast 4GHz) won't prove much of a bottleneck.
Are you doing this just for better power consumption and to be DX12 compatible? That's about all you're going to get out of it is why I ask. The Strix and G1 (ASUS/GIGA) are the ones I would look at for 970s and 980s.

a 980 should match or just edge out 3 480s. Don't expect a massive improvement though. Yes the 980 (if you have it at atleast 4GHz) won't prove much of a bottleneck.
Are you doing this just for better power consumption and to be DX12 compatible? That's about all you're going to get out of it is why I ask. The Strix and G1 (ASUS/GIGA) are the ones I would look at for 970s and 980s.

The 3 480's just cook the room when I game on it. I also assume my power dial is spinning like crazy with them. I also need to do clean the water cooling loop and since its a backup system figured just go Air on the GPU and a Corsair H105 on the CPU to keep it simple

The 3 480's just cook the room when I game on it. I also assume my power dial is spinning like crazy with them. I also need to do clean the water cooling loop and since its a backup system figured just go Air on the GPU and a Corsair H105 on the CPU to keep it simple

Ya if its an efficiency and ease of use thing youre after I think you are on the right track

Back