• Welcome to Overclockers Forums! Join us to reply in threads, receive reduced ads, and to customize your site experience!

Upgrade options?

Overclockers is supported by our readers. When you click a link to make a purchase, we may earn a commission. Learn More.

FuPaKiLLeR

Registered
Morning,
This forum has helped me upgrade through many years and the builds that you have suggested have been great (see my sig for my current build).. I am back again to see what I can do to boost my game play performance. When I get time, i play games like; WoW, Escape from Tarkov beta, COD, Battlefield, Destiny 2 and I plan on getting Fallout 76 when released.
My current mobo, cpu and ram are dated. Is this a good time to replace these parts? I was thinking of getting a current gen cpu, mobo and ram with a budget of $500-700. is this possible and/or worth it? The wife wants to buy me a Birthday present next week, so this would be a good time to spend her money :)
Any advice would be great.
Thank you in advance!

Also, I would like to stick with Intel.

not "really" worth it, you will gain some but not enough to spend any money for you, you have an up to date gpu.
if you're just itching for new stuff the only way I would go is with an 8700K, but the gains will not be great.
but if you itch, it's ok to scratch.

a 8700k at microcenter is $300, add on a asus rog strix Z370-E GAMING $169 after $30 discount(if bought together) and $200-$250 for some solid gskill ddr4 3200-3600. there! i just spent all of your wifes 7 bills! haha

not to lament this issue, my game rig is a 4790K with 980TI's in sli and I have no reason to upgrade that stuff so I just re-cased it into a thermaltake tower 900 to scratch the itch, might be an option for you also.

I don't know, that 2600k is getting long in the tooth. Check out this review that puts the 2600k vs the 8700k. With the new gpus especially at 1080p the cpu is starting to play a bigger role in performance.

https://www.google.com/amp/s/www.techspot.com/amp/review/1546-intel-2nd-gen-core-i7-vs-8th-gen/
QFT. The 2600K is a solid CPU still, but when paired with even a relatively high end GPU and playing at 1080p, it leaves some meat on the bone for sure. I'd even bet the 4790K is placing a glass ceiling SLI 980Ti's at 1080p and perhaps 2560x1440). ;)

I'm sure it's bottle necking me, but unless he's on a 120 refresh monitor it's quite playable and should stay above the dreaded 60 fps for most of game play.
my dieing (boo, hisssssss) 4790K @4.5 is still perfectly capable of providing me with all the visuals I need at the time, as long as I turn off fraps that is.
he's also on a 1080, non ti, so it's better than those numbers show. but, yea, the cpu is bottle necking.

for his $600, he'll get, yea, that's better, not WOW!!!! that's awsome!!!!!!!!

Last edited:
I would wait for the new 8 core coffee lake coming out in a few months. Rumor is It might be soldered IHS.

I wouldnt bet on the latter. :)

Why would additional cores, over 6/12, benefit a gamer? 8700k is really a good choice, especially if he s ready now. To see if this upgrade is worth it, the OP needs to check that link loch posted. :)

I have to agree with ^^^^ this^^^^^
to coffee lakes good I will say my 8600K out performs my 4790K in rendering tasks, not in a big way, but for a 6 core to out perform a 4/8 thread cpu is impressive.

I wouldnt bet on the latter. :)

Why would additional cores, over 6/12, benefit a gamer? 8700k is really a good choice, especially if he s ready now. To see if this upgrade is worth it, the OP needs to check that link loch posted. :)

He likes to keep his processor for many years, like 7 years, the bigger the upgrade the better.:)

Der8auer
There are a lot of things that I find really interesting, but unfortunately they have not been released yet. NDA stuff. But I can say, especially on the Intel side, by the end of the year, we'll see some very exciting stuff. I can't say much more without getting into trouble.

One thing you mentioned in your video about the Intel 8086K anniversary chip was some rumors were going around it was going to be soldered, and it wasn't. It seems like that's an ongoing topic about Intel CPUs, whether they'll be soldered or not. None of the i5s or i7s are soldered still, right? What do you think about that?

Let's say that's what I meant with exciting. You can draw your own conclusion. https://www.pcgamer.com/pro-overclo...any-sense-and-why-you-should-still-overclock/

Only time will tell. Im wondering if next gen will have the solder. I dont think the 8c CFL cpu is next gen?

Also, he mentions the lack of a need for more cores in gaming. Bringing it back to the OP its why i wouldnt wait for more cores. A 6C/12T processor will last as long as his 2600k did for gaming. ;)

6/12 is overkill for gaming, makes me with they would make some 8600K chips with 8700K silicone, talk about a hotrod!!!!

Back