• Welcome to Overclockers Forums! Join us to reply in threads, receive reduced ads, and to customize your site experience!

UPGRADE Q 4 u , AMD FX-9590 Octa-core (8 Core) 4.70 GHz Processor

Overclockers is supported by our readers. When you click a link to make a purchase, we may earn a commission. Learn More.

nofear187

Registered
AMD FX-9590 Octa-core (8 Core) 4.70 GHz Processor

I have an AMD FX 4130 with a Cooler Master Vortex Plus CPU Cooler (92 mm sized fan)
I wanted to upgrade the processor to a AMD FX-9590 Octa-core (8 Core) 4.70 GHz Processor - Socket AM3+ but keep the same CPU cooler if that possible in the near future.
Since I hear these chips run very hot do you think this is an option?

thanks,

Adam

What motherboard are you running
:thup:

Short answer on using an air cooler for the 9590-no. Cooling the 9xxx has been mentioned and discussed in several threads. The general consensus is big (custom) water is needed to get the 9xxx FX chips to run at stock speeds on one of the two motherboards that support it (Sabretooth and CH). Even then , some experienced forum members have had a hard time dialing in the advertised numbers. They require a lot of stable voltage and make a lot of heat , and seem to be inherently unstable. With the impending extinction of the FX chips , I wouldn't even consider a 9590. If your 4130 still works , you would probably be better off keeping that until Zen is released if you want to stay with AMD. Otherwise , one of several Intel chips would provide a big increase in performance.

plan b what about one of these instead ?

AMD FX-9370 Vishera 8-Core 4.4 GHz Socket AM3+ 220W FD9370FHHKBOF Desktop Processor - Black Edition

or AMD FX-8370 with AMD Wraith cooler Vishera 8-Core 4.0 GHz (4.3 GHz Turbo) Socket AM3+ 125W FD8370FRHKHBX Desktop Processor

or AMD FX-8370 4.0 GHz (4.3 GHz Turbo) Socket AM3+ FD8370FRHKBOX Desktop Processor

Get an 83xx chip doesn't matter which one, they will at least be able to run at stock clocks with that heatsink. If you want to overclock you're likely going to need a more higher end heatsink.

It really depends on what you plan on doing and your expectations. If you are happy with just stock / mild Overclocks ...... then the Wraith cooler will do fine. If you plan on really squeezing your chip for everything you can look for the very best cooler you can afford. These chips run hot when pushed and the only real difference between the FX8370 and the FX9590 is better binning. In the end if you plan on pushing an FX8370 to 5GHZ it will still require big cooling.

The choice of an AIO cooler will depend on your case and what you can fit in it + your budget.

Back