• Welcome to Overclockers Forums! Join us to reply in threads, receive reduced ads, and to customize your site experience!

Upgrade Suggestion

Overclockers is supported by our readers. When you click a link to make a purchase, we may earn a commission. Learn More.

702drips

Registered
Here is my current Rig

CPU:FX-8350
GPU:Asus HD 7950
MOBO:Asus M5A97 EVO
RAM:8GB Patriot G2 Series
PSU:700W ModXtreme

i have a budget of $750

i was thinking of buying a new motherboard one that has duel pci-e slots that run in x16 and buying another 7950 and also upgrading the PSU to like a 800-900Watt

would that be a nice upgrade?...or would i be better of spending the $750 on a nice gpu?

What monitor(s) are you using? If you're using a single 1080p monitor (or lower), one 7950 should still be decent, with no real reason to get a new motherboard and a second card.

friends don't let friends crossfire!!!!
mobo upgrade, sabertooth. (used)
gpu upgrade, up to you, but a better single.

If you don't mine (crypto money), you could sell the MoBo and the 7950 (they sell very well now due to mining frenzy). You can make $300 easy out of the card only.

Then get a Sabertooth 990fx r2.0 ($170), a good air cooler (noctua NH-D14,$90) and a nVidia GTX780 ($500) or GTX780Ti ($700).

You would be between $450 and $650 out of your pocket and could overclock this CPU to 4.5/4.6GHz to get the most out of it and be ready for 2 years of gaming maxxed out!

Edit: what Caddi Daddi says!

ty very much for your advice...so it looks like ill be getting a new gpu then....so for future purposes...crossfire is best for people who use duel monitor setups?

ty very much for your advice...so it looks like ill be getting a new gpu then....so for future purposes...crossfire is best for people who use duel monitor setups?

You're welcome.

Nope, actually, crossfire/SLI is used for two main reasons:
- cheap way to almost double GPU power when you already have one card and can get a second one for not so much money (one or two generation and/or used)
-when a single high end GPU does not have the horsepower to drive the (very high) resolution you play at (1440p, tri monitor or 4K).

Either way, there are downsides: driver issues, no multi GPU optimisation in some games...

Edit: a 780/780ti/290/290x plays everything maxed out@1080p and almost everything@1440p.

Back