• Welcome to Overclockers Forums! Join us to reply in threads, receive reduced ads, and to customize your site experience!

UPGRADE SUGGESTIONS: CPU, GPU or RAM?

Overclockers is supported by our readers. When you click a link to make a purchase, we may earn a commission. Learn More.

Mitukczuk

Hey everyone,

I have a very simple question.

Considering my current rig, what upgrade would you suggest the most? I am thinking mainly in terms of playing Blackout. Currently I am getting about 40-65 fps medium details with all bells and whistles turned off. I think I should be getting more out of the system with the game, but I guess the optimization really is bad.

CPU, GPU or RAM? What ONE thing will improve my playing time the most iyo?

Thanks!

COD BLOPS 4, the Blackout mode? What I would do is get a (much) better GPU and get 2x8GB of DDR4 3000 MHz RAM.

For 1080p gaming I would recommend a GTX 1070. A 1050Ti isn't really a good 1080p gaming card in the first place and a 1060 is barely there (with running things on high/ultra).

I don't know what will improve your "playing time" but a video card will surely increase FPS as well as overclocking that processor. I was playing that last night and my system was using more than 8GB of RAM which is why I suggested 16GB of faster RAM.

Thanks for your answer!

I think RAM is the easiest for me to upgrade, I have been thinking about going to 16GB for a while.

GTX 1070 is WAY out of my price range atm. How about MSI Radeon RX 570 ARMOR 8G OC ?

A factory overclocked RX 570 It is about 33% faster... So you will get 60 FPS at the same settings (read: turned down). That isn't how I like to play games personally, but that is up to you. Why start off with a 'new' card already behind in terms of settings?

I'd rather you get a GTX 1070 now and save for more RAM down the line. Look at used models if you need to.

I don´t really like buying used PC stuff. Got bad experience buying two cards, both of them lasted about a month. But I might have to look into it again.

At least I have OCd the CPU just a taaad bit. I may get back into it with a better cooler tho. I had a lot of fun OCing my good ol´ Phenom BE 965 few years back. Could be fun.

I will pick up another 8GB RAM stick tomorrow and decide about the GPU.

Buying from a trusted source is definitely safer. I mention the Classifieds at OCF because I have used them many times and have always been happy with the result. The requirements to even have access to the Classifieds here tends to weed out scammers, and the overall quality of the membership takes care of the rest. Not to say things can't go wrong, but I have no reservations so far about doing business with our regulars. Highly recommended.

Your best bet will be to purchase a new GPU, the ram won't hurt, but GPU is your biggest issue. I wouldn't really consider a 1050 a "gaming" GPU, as it's barely a step above integrated graphics.

I will pick up another 8GB RAM stick tomorrow and decide about the GPU.
You were running with one stick? Well, def. get two, but as was said, its 1070 time or Vega 56... start saving your pennies. :)

16 GB RAM is a must at some point, but with 8 GB you aren't exactly in a desparate position to upgrade anyway. I suggest you look for deals and just buy a matching stick when you find a good bargain and have no higher priority expenses.

You definitely want to reconsider your position on buying used stuff. I hear you about warranty etc., but you can still but used stuff that's still on warranty.

Right now the most sensible step for you is to sell the 1050ti while you still can, and get the best used but reliable GPU you can afford. Some sellers of used hardware are either hardware stores or companies that use strong GPUs for work, so either way they aren't going to disappear on you, they can write a proper formal invoice for you and even give you seller's warranty on top of the manufacturer's warranty. Private folks, well, it boils down to their credibility. But a lot of them have kept the invoice and warranty and have only used the card for several months.

That said, 1050ti => 1060 would be too much of a sidegrade (let alone RX 570…) to even bother with unless you had a lot of time on your hands and could sell the 1050ti for nearly as much as you paid for the 1060. Otherwise it's Vega or 1070 & up for you. If you don't have the budget for a 1070, either wait or, well, concentrate on making some money on the side. Ask your boss for some paid overtime, ask at local businesses if you could lend a hand after your normal work or school for some extra buck, whatever works. That's usually the easier way out of a budget problem.

And get that new CPU cooler (preferably one that enables easy fan swap, and you want the fans to be at least 12 cm large if not 14 cm, depending on what fits in your case) and replace your case fans with the best you can afford (if possible, you want to go and test them in the store before buying, rather than relying on manufacturer specs, especially if noise bothers you). Even the best fans aren't normally horribly expensive, and they can make a big difference, as you can get away with more aggressive OC.

But the most immediate fps boost will always come from getting a stronger GPU, so don't get distracted. Upgrading the GPU should be your top priority.

EDIT: If you're on a tight budget, lowering the settings intelligently might give you more peace of mind. There are always some settings that impose a comparably significant load on the GPU without giving you a proportionate gain in image quality. Differences between ultra vs high textures or more shadows vs less, or anti-aliasing levels (just as long as there is some) aren't always noticeable unless you know what to look for and focus hard on it. In other words, you can free up some resources for more fps without degrading your visual experience. It's more about the psychological feeling of 'I know it's high and not ultra' or 'I know it's medium and not high'. If you can overcome that, you don't need to upgrade as aggressively as most people.

Last edited:
Thank you all for your suggestions!

I did get another Crucial 8GB RAM stick and a GPU upgrade. Although I definitely hear you with the reasons to go for 1070, its just way too much money for someone not wanting to play every day imo. I am not that much of a gamer anymore.
I did look into the used ones and the price still exceeded my budget. So...I went for the MSI RX 580 Armor OC 8GB. With the plan being playing occasional Blackout, I think it is sufficient combined with the RAM. The increase in FPS ranges from 40-70, which is crazy and completely fine if you ask me. Played with everything Ultra or High and the game didnt drop under 50 FPS.

Time will tell if the choice was right but at the moment it is more than enough :)

The proof is in the pudding! Seems like it was the right way to go for you. Glad it worked!

It did for sure!

Always great to hear everybodys opinions and experiences though. :)
Although I get the 1070 is safer for the future, it was just too much money. I found a great deal on the RX 580 and went for it. That way I was able to get the RAM and the GPU too. I also like the fact I have an AMD/MSI rig now and not a PC frankenstein :D

Your system looks great for 1080p gaming. I'd want maybe a bigger SSD. Prices are coming down so much on them and BF they will probably be dirt cheap. Also the beauty of AM4, can throw new chips into that MB very easily so Ryzen 2 down the line.

Back