• Welcome to Overclockers Forums! Join us to reply in threads, receive reduced ads, and to customize your site experience!

Upgrade to 890fxa-ud7 from 770-ud3 for just 60 USD or go for Bulldozer?

Overclockers is supported by our readers. When you click a link to make a purchase, we may earn a commission. Learn More.

aardtyllyf

Registered
Sup guys,

Haven't been here for a while now. How are the things going for yall?

I have a dilemma: I already have a pretty decent AMD build with Phenom II x4 965, 770-ud3 8 gigs of ram and a 6950 ref 2 gb.
Until sunday i have a chance to swap my basic board for a hottest Gigabyte 890FXA-UD7 for just 60 USD. The board is new in box with a 3 year warranty from a local retail store.

Should I upgrade the mobo and just sit around for some time with that until Bulldozer v.2 comes out or its time to sell my old rig and upgrade straightly to Bull now?

I absolutelly like 890FXA-ud7, i have a large case to fit that beast in ;)

Plz help as it is not so much time left for me to decide.

Tnx in advance, Arty.

Last edited:
If your going to stick with the Phenom II then by all means go for the MB swap.
If your going to go for a Bulldozer then move up to a 990FX chipset board. The BD will run on the 890FX system, just not at full potential.

So then i have a question:
Should I stick around with the system of Phenom II X4 965 BE + Gigabyte 890FXA-UD7 for some time or it is better to sell my current AMD platform and swap it with a FX-4100 + Gigabyte 990FXA-UD3? Has the time come, or I will have alotta power with AM3 socket rig?

There are a few posts around about users going FX-4100 and for general usage, the FX-4100 so far is not fully up to par with the 965E you already have. You would have to do a lot of rendering to get to the place where FX series might show a good increase in performance. About it as I have seen in a multitude of postings all over.

If you've got a burning need to upgrade, then get a 1100T OC it to 4Gb and have fun.
If your current system does pretty much everything you need then stick with it until next year when AMD releases the next version of the Bulldozer.

Back