• Welcome to Overclockers Forums! Join us to reply in threads, receive reduced ads, and to customize your site experience!

Upgrade to Q9550 or get i7 920

Overclockers is supported by our readers. When you click a link to make a purchase, we may earn a commission. Learn More.
both are beasts... but if you want to spend the money correctly, i would say i7 since it is the new architecture and you can get a really good oc without the need of increase voltage.
besides, the speed between cores is much faster than Q9550

Good call - Cheap and effective. That is how I roll :)

Save the major upgrades for next year - and I'd still consider upgrading your LCD before you drop ~$600-$800 on an i7 Upgrade - the LCD is your interface to the PC afterall, and is generally the single BEST place to improve your PC experience in general. 1920x1200 FTW!!! NTM, your current Video Card is still goig to be the bottleneck in an i7 system - so i7 really wouldn't be a very cost-effective upgrade at this juncture (new CPU, new MoBo, new RAM, new Video, new PSU = LOTS of cash)...

:cool:

I know 1920*1200 or 1080p is nice but screen is pretty new so ill keep that for some time :) and if i7 was till DDR2 i would def get i7.
new PSU? dont think my Enermax its going to have trouble with an i7 :p

I ran in to some trouble this week with my setup yesterday it didnt want to boot just fan spinning reset bios few time still didnt work and after some time it booted. played some games and no error's. This morning again didnt want to boot. Also ran Prime95 for 4 hours on 3.4Ghz no error what so ever. Pretty weird.

And btw my dad is getting a Q9550 now and he has an E8400 that i can use would that be a good boost ? or better can an Q9550

Last edited:
The short answer is: yes! The E 8400 should be a nice cheap upgrade for you. It is faster clock per clock than the 65nm E6420 plus you should be able to OC it to around 4ghz+ and for most current gaming or non multithreaded apps it is plenty fast enough so that you won't see much if any difference over the C2Q or I5/7 with y our set up.

Hey Cryp,
Why not do both? I mean if you have the dough and like to play..it would be worth it for a few reasons like comparing the two, using one for folding and whatnot and use the other for htpc,gaming, etc. You have a great platform that would definitely show improvement with the Q9950 over the dual core you have now.
The LGA775 platform has been surpassed sure, but it's not completely dead...yet :)

Back