• Welcome to Overclockers Forums! Join us to reply in threads, receive reduced ads, and to customize your site experience!

upgrading, but have some concerns...

Overclockers is supported by our readers. When you click a link to make a purchase, we may earn a commission. Learn More.

SafirXP

not sure if this thread should go into this section, so do move it if you (the mods) think so. :)

my current setup:
abit at7-max2, axp 1800+, 256mb ddr333 (my other 256mb stick died), gf 4200 ti, etc. most importantly i've a thermaltake purepower 420W PSU.

going for a NF4 Ultra or NF SLIx16 board based on DFI, Abit or Asus. Athlon64 X2 3800, 2GB DDR400 dual channel kit (2x 1GB), barracuda 7200.9, xfi extreme music, etc.

what my main concern is i'm also wanting to get a 6800GS or 7800GT (eVGA, Leadtek, XFX, BFG, Asus or Chaintech). so would my PSU be able to support the new stuff? dual core, more ram and also the graphics cards? please comment, advise, if i need to change the PSU or anything.

i'm importing them from Singapore, so make haste in your replies please!

your psu can probably take either of those cards. i would advise on not getting sli unless you plan on getting 2 6800gs's. if you want to go with the 7800gt then ditch the sli though.

thanx for the quick response dude!

the only reason i'm thinking of SLI is because... lets say 12-18 months from now when some of the new games don't run properly on the card (whichever) i can then add another one and be up to date. is that strategy correct?

some more replies would help, then i can save by going for just a NF4 Ultra board and get the 7800GT. i've a budget of around USD 1400 only, for mobo, cpu, memory, gfx card, sound card, & hdd.

SafirXP said:
thanx for the quick response dude!

the only reason i'm thinking of SLI is because... lets say 12-18 months from now when some of the new games don't run properly on the card (whichever) i can then add another one and be up to date. is that strategy correct?

some more replies would help, then i can save by going for just a NF4 Ultra board and get the 7800GT. i've a budget of around USD 1400 only, for mobo, cpu, memory, gfx card, sound card, & hdd.

Sounds good to me get the SLI board and one 7800GT now then like u said in the future u can upgrade.

The thermaltake purepower 420W PSU is decidedly mediocre. You will not be able to overclock with that thing. Make getting a good PSU a priority. Definitely go with the 7800GT as it's more powerful and one generation newer. I'd advise against an Abit as their boards have declined and they are in bad financial straights. An Epos 9NPA is worth looking into as it's a nice balance of price, stability and overclocking ability.
Good luck with whatever you pick.

I don't know...you may want to play it safe - especially with a budget like that, I'm sure a $80 Fortron AX500-A wouldn't hurt your budget too bad. You may not realize it but that is plenty of money for a computer these days, I mean I only had $600 and got what you need + a case and operating system (See sig.) Good luck!

I would not keep that thermaltake psu, to power your new rig. Especially, if it is not new, the older models are poorly build and you will have problems with sagging rails. If you plan on going SLI, I suggest you get a single rail psu, with a strong 12v rail. The best choices would be the zippy 650w (with 45a on the 12v rail), the powerstream 520w, the pc power and cooling 510, or the etasis (silverstone) with a lot on the 12v rail (cannot remember the name but someone should). Other than that, your rig looks fine.

wow... couple of more replies since i left home and got to work!

i'll check out what Epox has to offer. about the PSU, i'm not going to overclock anything. i just want a system that is stable and reliable, will last me at least 2 years.

don't want to run games at 1600x1200 with 8xFSAA & 16xAA or something, basic 1024x768 with all detail and effects level turned up high, thats all. the main reason for going for a high endish GPU is so that it runs games properly that come out in a years time.

so a PSU upgrade is still recommended? :S

Without overclocking you could possibly be okay with the TT PSU, but really to be safe and sure I would replace it. It certainly would be the weakest link on your system if you kept it.

A single 7800GT should be able to run 1280x1024 at max settings for most games. The 6800GS should be approximately half of that, so for 1025x768, OC your 6800GS and you should be able to run things on high or near high.

Definitely go for a new PSU, if your sticking with the 6800GS, the Forton AX500-A would do. But if your going for the 7800GT and are planning a future upgrade, the OCZ Powerstream520 would be more reliable at a higher cost, $120.

I might recommend a Maxtor HDD over that Seagate, the MaxlineIII or DiamondMaxPlus10 are both great choices.

I'd say the AX500-A would be perfect for both the 6800GS and the 7800GT, it's always better to be safe with PSU's. I agree with darksparkz recommendation of those Maxtor HDD's, they are great for the price.

thanx a lot for the advice guys! guess i might as well get a new PSU. i'm just trying to keep the costs down by buying the lower models of the good brands.

not going the OC way, last time i tried i actually ended up underclocking my AXP 1700+ and it was locked at x7 multiplier if i remember correctly. but it was my fault, obviously.

btw, i'm a Bangladeshi, which makes me poor and cheap. So i'm hoping the models/brands you mentioned won't arrive DEAD/FAULTY when i open up the boxes. meaning, they've a good customer satisfaction - reliability & stability record.

SafirXP said:
thanx a lot for the advice guys! guess i might as well get a new PSU. i'm just trying to keep the costs down by buying the lower models of the good brands.

not going the OC way, last time i tried i actually ended up underclocking my AXP 1700+ and it was locked at x7 multiplier if i remember correctly. but it was my fault, obviously.

btw, i'm a Bangladeshi, which makes me poor and cheap. So i'm hoping the models/brands you mentioned won't arrive DEAD/FAULTY when i open up the boxes. meaning, they've a good customer satisfaction - reliability & stability record.
Definitely not, Fortron is one of the highest regarded PSU companies there are. OCZ's Powerstream is also top-of-line in quality and power.

Back