• Welcome to Overclockers Forums! Join us to reply in threads, receive reduced ads, and to customize your site experience!

Upgrading from 990x to what?

Overclockers is supported by our readers. When you click a link to make a purchase, we may earn a commission. Learn More.

Dasyrup

Hi guys first post here. I upgrade every 8-10 years and have had a great experience with intel since the days of the dx50. I'm not your typical computer builder been running the Pentium 4 in 2002 920 in 2010 the 950 (dumb 920 oced better) in 2013 then a used 990x at 4.4 ghz (cant get 4.6 on this chip for some reason) in 2015 to present. I've reviewed the 2700x and for the money looks great however I dont upgrade much and OCing the same board for almost 9 years with zero failures and before that all the way to 1994 zero failures makes me an intel loyalist.
So after a lot of research I've come down to a few possibilities however I've run into a few future upgrade issues. The most logical upgrade for me would be the z390 i9 9900k. However if I am to go about the same type of CPU GPU upgrades over a 10 year period the x299 starts to make a lot more sense. The x series seems to have around 10+ chips to its name allowing me to upgrade easily over that period including my chips distant cousin the upcoming 9900x. I've debated in the past to upgrade like everyone else full generation swaps which doesnt cost that much more. But I've got my kids on the same craigslist boards and they get my old stuff. I guess I can swap out theyre boards too every 2-3 years with my old but different boards too. I'm open to any suggestions except AMD (even though I know it's a good and cheap choice). Thanks.

So... what do you do with your PC? Gaming? Encoding? Rendering? Hard to suggest an path without knowing how the machine is used.

That said, unless what you do can take advantage of all the cores available in x299, I dont see a point there. Personally, I'd rather upgrade fully every 5 years than drop more cores in from an old architecture.

So... what do you do with your PC? Gaming? Encoding? Rendering? Hard to suggest an path without knowing how the machine is used.

That said, unless what you do can take advantage of all the cores available in x299, I dont see a point there. Personally, I'd rather upgrade fully every 5 years than drop more cores in from an old architecture.
Sorry about that was kinda important I know. Gaming mostly. I had it in my head that if you have the best out of that particular generation then you can go quite a while without an upgrade. Maybe not true in the 2000s and 90s but thanks to the rise of the GPU it seems you can easily extend the life of an old board and as long as there is no bottleneck your good. Which sadly looks like I have reached.

To add to that what about the intel 10nm chips (delayed or cancelled?) and 7nm chips that look to be imminent from AMD? Like I said not really interested in AMD just in Intel's response. Wait for this? But how long q4 2019 2020?

If you are ready, buy now. :)

For you, I'd go 9900k and z390 board. Then look at upgrading again in 5 years. I dont like the idea of just adding more cores and threads to the same speed cpu.

If you are ready, buy now. :)

For you, I'd go 9900k and z390 board. Then look at upgrading again in 5 years. I dont like the idea of just adding more cores and threads to the same speed cpu.
Thanks brother, tell me how I did? Was a little bummed about the gouged 9900k but everything else on this new build seemed to fall into place.
Z390 gigabyte aorus master $259 (VRM outweighed the quirky bios for me)
I9 9900k cpu $569 doh!
16 gb G.skill trident ddr4 3200 (pc425600) $134.99
Evga geforce gtx 1070 sc gaming acx 3.0 black edition 8gb gddr5 led dx12 OSD support $407
I would of been way more comfy with just under 5 bills on 9900k but whatever. Thanks for the help earth dog much appreciated the x series even if money was no option was prolly the wrong choice. Thanks again please tell me how I did minus the insane amount for 9900k. Another 200 could have gotten me a 2070 but the wife would of flipped lid being over 1500. Next year I'll get one plus antminers will be well into full swing on the ethereum front. Unless he goes ahead with the ice age.

The GPU was $369... $407 with tax

Oh and the g.skill are the rgb units. Will be strange. Aside from the colored fans on case this x58 has one small led on it lol for power. The HAF-X is still way up there for moving air so I'm keeping it. Plus I like having the room.

Last edited by a moderator:
The GTX 1070 is getting to be a dated card if gaming is your aiming.

Ehhh, at 1080p a good 1070 is still a viable card. A really good 1070 has some real miles left. The games I play are still easily handled by my HOF with horsepower to spare. I have no issues with a 1070 reference card and a FX 8370 on my backup rig.

@ Alaric - How's that FX-8370 working for you :thup:
@ Dasyrup - Try next year to pick up a 1080 and let the kids get the 1070. Hopefully by March, the 1080 will be under $350.00 :)

It is? It's a solid 1080p card...

I would have went higher too, but...to call it dated can be a bit misleading. If the guy is on 1440p looking for 120hz, sure... but 1080p 60-120hz.. cant do much better.

I admit with x299 in mind and dropping down to z390 and 9900k along with a '10 year lifespan' it's a curious choice when it appeared initially there was ample budget. Then 1500 seems to come up as a spouse limit.... that would have barely gotten the OP a cpu and motherboard for similar costs...

@ Alaric - How's that FX-8370 working for you :thup:
@ Dasyrup - Try next year to pick up a 1080 and let the kids get the 1070. Hopefully by March, the 1080 will be under $350.00 :)

It's currently in the rig I'm on right now. With a reference 1070 it rocks any games I play with zero issues and no thermal concerns. It's a Class A chip. I can't wait to get my mobo back from Gigabyte so I can pop it in the Saberkitty and see what she'll do. It's winter! I have good ambients coming my way to go with an octo FX and the 'Kitteh!

It is? It's a solid 1080p card...

I would have went higher too, but...to call it dated can be a bit misleading. If the guy is on 1440p looking for 120hz, sure... but 1080p 60-120hz.. cant do much better.

I admit with x299 in mind and dropping down to z390 and 9900k along with a '10 year lifespan' it's a curious choice when it appeared initially there was ample budget. Then 1500 seems to come up as a spouse limit.... that would have barely gotten the OP a cpu and motherboard for similar costs...
I was initially looking at a x299 refurb asus rog rampage iv extreme for $379 then the lowest of the low 7800x for $350 and then add $150 for memory with maybe a stronger gpu. Which puts me well below my current build and well under the other halfs demands (budget was self imposed as well with some being allocated to my truck and race car so I could have gotten crazier).
Sort of brings me back to my original question of upgrading full gen swaps vs incremental cpu GPU upgrades on same platform. I compared my 990x to the 7800x, and to be honest were not alot of improvements I was looking for money spent. That along with your advice on what the purpose of this machine would be, convinced me to to go Z390. I thought of just plopping a 2080 on the 990x and pick up a 4k monitor and hope for the best but it seems these boards are starting to show they're age. I know it's possible cause I've seen it but I've been advised by others that now is a good time to give my son the 990x. What say you?

Personally if your intent is a gaming rig, go back to post#6 and swap the 9900K for and 8700K and spend the rest and a 1080/1080Ti. You're not going to be in need of the 8 cores any time soon IMO

Here is another question that should prolly be in another thread. What is the current hierarchy of purchases? When you guys go for the new build where is most of the money allocated? 1. GPU 2. MB 3. CPU? Is it a large spectrum depending on budget? Should I have allocated more funds into GPU? Just curious thanks.

Also I would need the monitor to run it which I'm still in fhd ips territory not 4k. Would the new GPU even make sense if I dont have the screen to view it?

What is my course of action for next year? Get a killer monitor? If so what's recommended? Dont wanna go under 32". Cant downgrade lol.... I know its gonna be a fortune

Last edited by a moderator:
I'd go 2560x1440 unless you're willing to opt for a 2080Ti to drive 4K
I also always get the best GFX card I can afford, that's why I suggested dropping to the 8700K still the same CPU just 2 less cores or even an 8600K and drop the HT and spend what I could on a GPU

I'd go 2560x1440 unless you're willing to opt for a 2080Ti to drive 4K
I also always get the best GFX card I can afford, that's why I suggested dropping to the 8700K still the same CPU just 2 less cores or even an 8600K and drop the HT and spend what I could on a GPU
Thanks I appreciate the help. I will go that route.

Back