• Welcome to Overclockers Forums! Join us to reply in threads, receive reduced ads, and to customize your site experience!

Upgrading MOBO.. need advice..

Overclockers is supported by our readers. When you click a link to make a purchase, we may earn a commission. Learn More.

McMoose

What is the difference of these 3 mobos..

I need to upgrade my cpu also but ik what to get already.. I just need to see what is the real difference between these 3 all look the same minus the extra slots on the 400 dollar mobo.

Photo looks terrible I apologize.

Mobo#1

Mobo#2

The most expensive Mobo #1 all asus..

Attachments

• mobo suggestions.png
    mobo suggestions.png
    89.9 KB · Views: 80
Last edited:
I wouldn't spend the $200 on the HEro honestly. You sig says you do not overclock, why get an overclocking board?

Well I've had my sig for awhile now I never really bothered to upgrade it I have been OC'ing it only at 4.2 because Im afraid to really go any higher Im still a newbie.. Although I am planning on trying with the new set up because i will get a better cooler.

The board you have will push that CPU as far as air/water cooling will take you.

They also won't support your current CPU

I missed that.

In that case, look at the Z87X-UD3H or Z87-A.
The boards in the first post are a waste of money unless you plan on doing extreme benchmarking with dry ice or liquid nitrogen.

+1 Gigabyte Z87X-UD3H or Asus Z87-A is all you really need, you could even buy a cheaper board since your overclocking is so low.

previous 3 mobos i had weere rma and never worked when it was with gigabyte.. ill just go with the z87 asus.. i apprecaite all of your help.

Just curious, why do you feel you need to "upgrade" from a 4.2GHz 2500k? What CPU are you planning to buy?

They're crazy.
I run 5760x1080 without a hitch on my single 780 and 2600K.

Really? hmm.. wow so i wouldnt need to even bother with a upgrade? DAmn.. alright then.. ill try ocing it more and see how it goes and probably go to the store monday to pick a new gpu

QUOTE:If you bought a Core i7-2600K a while back, then we can tell you without the shadow of a doubt, that there is absolutely no need to get rid of it and replace it with a Core i7-4770K. From a gaming performance point of view it really doesn't matter which of the two CPU's you have in your system. Should you actually want to upgrade your gaming PC, then don't go for a new CPU in this case, you should rather choose a new graphics card.

Core i7-4770K, with our "low-preset" is on average 6.4 percent faster than the Core i7-2600K. Switching to our "high-preset" makes the Core i7-4770K's become 1.1 percent quicker than the Core i7-2600K.
http://www.ocaholic.ch/modules/smartsection/item.php?itemid=1123&page=14

I appreciate it Ive been aiming towards a new GPU Due to the fact I have to run old drivers for the 460 gtx because my PC will freeze at random every hour or so.. So i had ot keep using older drivers and now I see games warning me to update my driver and my pc freezing randomly again so I need to get rid of it and upgrade. So i was planning on getting a whole new pc practically cuz of this lol... this is a big relief.

I agree, you will be fine with that board and CPU, My son has that exact combo I built him for Christmas a few years back, has been running at 4.5 GHz since the day he opened it with a TT FRIO.

He has an AMD 7950 and still runs everything he throws at it with decent settings at 1920x1080

I love when people think they have to have the top of the line equipment to run games nowadays. My 10 year old is sporting one of my older builds which has an Athlon II 4400+ 2 gig of ram and a 450 gts Gpu and he as able to play pretty much any game out there at 1080p. Granted he has to play some at med/low settings but he can still play. A 2500k is still a really good chip and isn't going to hinder any gpu out there compared to a 4770k. I own both a 2500k and 4770k maybe, maybe you'll get a couple of Fps more on a 4770k but are you really going to notice 1-2 fps? Additionally, if you're going to OC a 2500k vs a 4770k you're going to need a whole lot more cooling to do it on a 4770k. You can easily get 4.5, if the chip will do it, on a CM 212. I doubt unless you get a really good 4770k you'll get more then 4.1/4.2 on the same cooler.

Back