• Welcome to Overclockers Forums! Join us to reply in threads, receive reduced ads, and to customize your site experience!

upgrading motherboards

Overclockers is supported by our readers. When you click a link to make a purchase, we may earn a commission. Learn More.
Are there features on the new board which your current board is lacking? If not, I don't see any reason to spend the money.

the other pci-e 16, my mobo only has the x4 for the 2nd one. the maximus has the 2nd one at x16.. other than that, im not sure.. maybe for aesthetics...

I would sit tight and wait for the next Gen to arrive and save up your money in the meantime. As for the x8 x4 etc there is not that much difference on your board, so again just wait for now. AJ. ;) :)

If you watch the video it does a good job of showing you that the difference is not that big. It does rest some what with the card you a running in the slots as per the video. That said you can draw your own conclusion on this, as in the scores there not that much of a big gap overall. :shrug: :thup:

I would sit tight and wait for the next Gen to arrive and save up your money in the meantime. As for the x8 x4 etc there is not that much difference on your board, so again just wait for now. AJ. ;) :)

If you watch the video it does a good job of showing you that the difference is not that big. It does rest some what with the card you a running in the slots as per the video. That said you can draw your own conclusion on this, as in the scores there not that much of a big gap overall. :shrug: :thup:
hey aj!!! thanks for the input man!!

Do you plan to run crossfire or fold with 2 gpus? I know several chipset generations back 16x4 wasn't too far behind 16x16 in gaming. That might be different now though.

None of my cases have a window, so personally I never consider aesthetics. lol

Do you plan to run crossfire or fold with 2 gpus? I know several chipset generations back 16x4 wasn't too far behind 16x16 in gaming. That might be different now though.

None of my cases have a window, so personally I never consider aesthetics. lol

just cfx and gaming, i have a different folding pc...

well, im a vain person, aesthetics is a big points for me hehe!

Even at 1080P, a single 7950+ is enough to max out almost every game. Dual cards are just more heat/power consumption/more prone to issues, etc, best to avoid it if possible.

If you pass on this upgrade & put the extra money away, it will help you afford the fully blinged out Haswell mobo when you do that upgrade. ;)

Back