• Welcome to Overclockers Forums! Join us to reply in threads, receive reduced ads, and to customize your site experience!

Upgrading my E6750... new CPU or New Build?

Overclockers is supported by our readers. When you click a link to make a purchase, we may earn a commission. Learn More.

Damian227

(Current Hardware)
Motherboard: Asus P5K
CPU: Intel E6750 2.66Ghz [Overclocked to 3.2Ghz/400FSB/Vcore 1.24]
RAM: GEIL 1GB PC2-6400 (CL 4-4-4-12) x2
GFX: ATI HD 5670 [Overclocked to 850Mhz Clock and 1050Mhz Mem]

Above is my current set up, all runs stable. Ram hasn't been overclocked because it has been auto-underclocked since I bought it and only noticed when I starting overclocking the CPU. So it has been manually "overclocked" to it's retail specs shown. I'm managed to keep temps just 2C higher than when at stock speeds due to voltage changes.

Anyway, now I'm considering an upgrade. Both the E8500 and Q8300 are around £55. Would either be worth my time? (considering I'd overclock them to their stable limits also)

Failing that, I've been considering a new build, on the ASUS P8P67 LE motherboard. Giving me the Intel P67 Chipset and access to some newer cpu's. Where would my money be better spent.. beginning the new build or one of those CPU's?

I use my PC for recording (so it does get stressed with my DAW), some minor video editing and some fairly tough gaming (nothing major, but since my old PS2 broke, I play my PS2 classics via an emulator, which is quite taxing)

Thanks in advance :)

I would say if you plan to stick with your current setup a quad would be the way to go.

I personally wouldn't want to sink any more money into it and would just like to upgrade to a sandy bridge setup (or if you want to wait a month, you can see how AMD's new Bulldozer chip compares).

You have only 2gig of ram in the current setup and you would likely see real world performance increase just by going to 4 gigs of ram. So if you upgrade the socket 775 cpu, you should consider more ram.

Then that brings you to X speed/performance/working power. How much have you spent where you live? Then it gets to be a real world value of what performance I need and how much to spend.

It really seems that a newer 2500K setup with 8 gigs of ram and Windows 7 64 bit for some real muscle might be your better investment over the course of the next 2 or 3 years.

Thanks for the quick replies. I've been heavily leaning towards the new i3 and i5 Sandy Bridge CPU's myself. Though I'm told the lower ends are poor overclockers? If I new build, is that suggested Motherboard anygood? I seems to support all the new CPU's and has only the essential features I need. I've always been big on Asus for their overclocking and reliability, but I've been out of the market for sometime lol.

As for upgrading to more Gb's of Ram, I'd really like too... however I've not looked into the drawbacks of 64bit systems (are there any software-wise?) I'd also insist on staying with XP and just move from 32bit to 64bit. XP is so superior for recording engineers as Win7's sound is over-enhanced. I also had a ton of issues with it when I gave it a 30 day trial. BSOD, USB going on and off, software not working, GFX card failures etc... despite everything being compatible lol. So if 64bit is the way to go... I'll invest in more Ram too, just for XP 64bit instead.

Thanks again.

For over clocking on that rig I'd go with the E8500 over the Quad as I had the Q9400 and I wasn't impressed with it as far as over clocking goes. That said as others have said I too would wait and see, what AMD'S new platform does or P67 if you got to have it now.

I'd have to say save the money and go with a new platform when you get enough cash saved up. No use in investing in LGA775 anymore really.

Id move on as well. If you are ready to build, build on a Sandybridge platform. As far as what are good/not good overclockers on that system, frankly, all those that CAN overclock do overclock well. Remember only the "K" chips have the unlocked multiplier and can overclock past turbo. That said, grab a 2500k ($180 at Fry's/Microcenter), $150 Z68 mobo, and 4GB of ram for $400 or less. Viola, new system.

new build, but wait for the next gen of computer parts to be released. The current gen will decrease in price; saving you some cash. BTW, which case do you use?

new build, but wait for the next gen of computer parts to be released. The current gen will decrease in price; saving you some cash. BTW, which case do you use?

Yeah I've just started to price up the parts which won't change in price (cases/fans etc...). I've been using a non-brand case that I bought because it was cheap and pretty... unfortunately it's just as loud with side panel on, as it is if I take it off lol. So I'm about to purchase a BitFenix Shinobi, it looks great and all the reviews seem to put it as the best case in it's price range and rate above a few twice it's price.

Back