• Welcome to Overclockers Forums! Join us to reply in threads, receive reduced ads, and to customize your site experience!

upgrading only samba on debian etch because of vista sp1

Overclockers is supported by our readers. When you click a link to make a purchase, we may earn a commission. Learn More.

mbentley

Gloriously Lead, Overclockix Chief Architect
as stated in the title, i need to upgrade samba to a newer version (at least 3.0.28) to fix a problem introduced by windows vista sp1. it appears that the "valid users" variable & vista sp1 do not get along. after searching, i found this which proved my theory correct:
http://www.redhatmagazine.com/2008/...sta-clients-after-installingrnservice-pack-1/

now i need to upgrade samba to a newer version. having not used debian in quite a while, i am a bit out of date on how one would go about upgrading only samba. i want to keep my system running the stable branch but this samba upgrade is a necessity. i know how i would do it in gentoo but that doesn't really help in debian much :)

btw, if at all possible, i would like to upgrade to 3.0.28 and nothing newer at the moment.

Last edited:
ok, so i added the lenny sources to my /etc/apt/sources.list

i also created and added this to /etc/apt/apt.conf:
Code:
APT::Default-Release "stable";
APT::Cache-Limit=25165824;

then i did my "apt-get update"

then ran "apt-get -t testing install samba"

i couldn't believe the number of packages it wanted to update. i understand it has dependencies and all, but wow...
Code:
187 upgraded, 126 newly installed, 35 to remove and 555 not upgraded.

i might as well update to lenny! eek!

Lenny is very stable... but you could always check backports.org or something like that. Find the .deb files for Samba and the dependencies. Might be more work than it's worth, though.

i couldn't believe the number of packages it wanted to update. i understand it has dependencies and all, but wow...
Code:
187 upgraded, 126 newly installed, 35 to remove and 555 not upgraded.

i might as well update to lenny! eek!

I was going to suggest upgrading to Lenny but thought you might just like Etch and want to get samba up quickly.

I was going to suggest upgrading to Lenny but thought you might just like Etch and want to get samba up quickly.

i have lenny on another computer and like it just fine. i just want the most stable out there since it is for my server and vmware host. i also like that etch doesn't get updates very often (compared to lenny)

for the time being, i have removed the "valid users" directive which seems to be causing the problem with my config. i'd rather leave it in there, but for the time being, i'll just hold off i guess.

Back