• Welcome to Overclockers Forums! Join us to reply in threads, receive reduced ads, and to customize your site experience!

Upgrading system, need feedback or advice. Order going in ASAP

Overclockers is supported by our readers. When you click a link to make a purchase, we may earn a commission. Learn More.

trey_w

I'm looking to upgrade my system that I built about 2 years ago for Video editing (Sony HDR-SR8 uses AVCHD) , some gaming (i.e. CS Source), and Media purposes. As it stands this system is dragging running Vista Ultimate OS (32bit) and Sony Vegas Pro (need more memory for sure).

Please see my current setup below and my planned upgrade. Please provide feedback and advice as needed.

Current setup

Vista Ultimate 32bit
SilverStone LC10 HTPC Case
Abit AW8 MAX
Intel 640
SAPPHIRE Radeon X850XT PE 256MB 256-bit GDDR3 PCI Express x16 Video Card
SILVERSTONE Zeus SST-ST52F EPS12V 520W Power Supply
2x - Maxtor DiamondMax 10 6L250S0 250GB 7200 RPM Serial ATA150 Hard Drive (RAID 0)
OCZ Performance Series 1GB (2 x 512MB) 240-Pin DDR2 SDRAM DDR2 667 (PC2 5400)

Upgraded system

Vista Ultimate 64bit (Already owned)
SilverStone LC10 HTPC Case (Already owned)
SAPPHIRE Radeon X850XT PE 256MB 256-bit GDDR3 PCI Express x16 Video Card (Already owned)
SILVERSTONE Zeus SST-ST52F EPS12V 520W Power Supply (Already Owned)
2x - Maxtor DiamondMax 10 6L250S0 250GB 7200 RPM Serial ATA150 Hard Drive (RAID 0) (Already Owned)

Abit IP35 Pro (new purchase)
Intel Q6600 (new purchase)
2x - G.SKILL 4GB(2 x 2GB) 240-Pin DDR2 SDRAM DDR2 1000 (PC2 8000) Dual Channel Kit Desktop Memory Model F2-8000CL5D-4GBPQ (Total 8GB) (new purchase)

Several questions regarding the Upgraded system. Will the Abit mobo fit my case?

Will this MOBO support 4 sticks of 2GB G.SKILL RAM (total 8GB)? Can I get decent overclocking with this RAM? Looking to maybe get 3.0Ghz on the Q6600 with air only.

Will the video card be enough for what I want to do for now?

Should I go ahead and purchase faster SATA HDD's now?

Will my Power Supply be enough?

I'm trying to keep this upgrade under a $1,000 at this point. The new hardware is costing me about $700 dollars but that doesnt include a new Video Card or HDD's. I could probably afford to upgrade either the HDD's or Video card now to stay within my budget but not both.

Thanks in advance for your advice and feedback.

well, if your on a budget.

The Abit ip-35 e does nicely, its cheap and effective.

You wont need 8gbs of ram, unless your programs need 4+gigs (i dont know any video editing programs.

Abit ip35-e $90
4 x 1gb Crucial ballistix ram $150 total, $100 with rebates.
and get a 8800gt for $250

That leaves plenty of room for a new power supply, and hard drives.
ill let some one else comment on those.

-vapour

well, if your on a budget.

The Abit ip-35 e does nicely, its cheap and effective.

You wont need 8gbs of ram, unless your programs need 4+gigs (i dont know any video editing programs.

Abit ip35-e $90
4 x 1gb Crucial ballistix ram $150 total, $100 with rebates.
and get a 8800gt for $250

That leaves plenty of room for a new power supply, and hard drives.
ill let some one else comment on those.

-vapour

Thanks for the response. So it sounds as if my power supply won't cut it.

I was thinking that I should go ahead and get the 8GB of memory for the future and especially since I plan to run Vista 64 bit. I will also have a couple of VM's running on the system as well.

Will I be able to get a decent conservative overclock out of the memory your recommending if I decide to go that route?

edit* I just went back and looked at the MB you recommended and it almost fits my needs except that I need SATA RAID.

Is my video card really that bad at this point? I feel like upgrading the hard drives to SATA II will make a big difference on the video editing side of things. Honestly gaming is the last concern for me at this point. I have a new baby on the way in March and I don't see myself having a lot of time for games.

Last edited:
the memory is one of/is the best for overclocking.

Well then the pro is for you, or if someone can recommend a different one.

Well for video editing, i taught a good graphics card was need o_O .. You could pick up a cheap x1950 for close to $100.

Iv never really saw much of an increase in hard drive speeds from Pata to Sata,, but thats just me
in my opinion you have plenty to work with, even if it mean browsing the forums for a bit.

Congrats on the baby.

the memory is one of/is the best for overclocking.

Well then the pro is for you, or if someone can recommend a different one.

Well for video editing, i taught a good graphics card was need o_O .. You could pick up a cheap x1950 for close to $100.

Iv never really saw much of an increase in hard drive speeds from Pata to Sata,, but thats just me
in my opinion you have plenty to work with, even if it mean browsing the forums for a bit.

Congrats on the baby.

Thanks man.

I think I may wait on the HDD's and just use the ones I already have and then I can buy new ones later.

Here's what I've come up with as a compromise between budget and performance. Let me know what you think about the Video Card as I added an ATI card instead of the NVIDIA. I believe ATI is ahead of NVIDIA in terms of driver support on Vista or is this old news?

Abit IP35 Pro - 179.99 at newegg
Intel Q6600 - 279.99 at newegg
G.SKILL 4GB(2 x 2GB) 240-Pin DDR2 SDRAM DDR2 1000 (PC2 8000) - 114.99 (Supported on the Abit board according to their website)
ASUS EAH3870/G/HTDI/512M Radeon HD 3870 512MB 256-bit GDDR4 PCI Express 2.0 HDCP Ready CrossFire Supported Video Card - Retail - 279.99

Total - 854.96 plus tax and shipping

I figured I can always buy more memory later if needed. I'm hoping my current power supply will work as well.

Well I ordered my memory (G.SKILL 4GB(2 x 2GB PC2 8000) from newegg and bought a WD5000AAKS 500GB SATA II hard drive and Abit IP35 Pro MB from Micro Center. I purchased the Intel Q6600 for $278.99 which included a free ECS GF7100PVT - M motherboard. The Q6600 had the g0 stepping so it should make for a nice overclock.

Micro Center had the WD hard drive on sale for $87 and it retailed for $140. The ABIT MB was $209 at Micro Center but they priced matched Frys at $189.
Next month I'll complete the upgrade by purchasing a new Video Card.

Anyone have a suggestion for what I can do with a new ECS GF7100PVT-M MB? It's a micro ATX board that would make for a great little multimedia computer. It even has HDMI out.

Thoughts or feedback regarding the items purchased?

It all looks like it is what you wanted. All the items are fine imo. Everything looks perfect :-D i dunno what to do with an old mobo.

Have fun with your new build

I'd go with the Zeus ST56ZF instead of the F series (Etasis v/s Enhance).

I believe he already owns the PSU. I am not particularly familiar with that brand so I will leave judgment on that for someone else. If the wattage is accurate on a single rail it should be sufficient.

I believe he already owns the PSU. I am not particularly familiar with that brand so I will leave judgment on that for someone else. If the wattage is accurate on a single rail it should be sufficient.

Correct, I bought it two years ago and I've been using it ever since. It's been a pretty solid PS. All the rails seem rock strong. Even the 5volt rail.

ou,

Doesn't he have this Silverstone listed as owned now: ST52F

S/N suggested the ST56ZF which has a reputation of being a real bear of a unit and top quality.

Back