• Welcome to Overclockers Forums! Join us to reply in threads, receive reduced ads, and to customize your site experience!

Upgrading the cpu on a mid range graphics card.

Overclockers is supported by our readers. When you click a link to make a purchase, we may earn a commission. Learn More.

bigtallanddopey

Hi,

Currently I have a Ryzen 5 1600 in my rig coupled with a 5700xt. I plan on upgrading the cpu to a 3600 when the 4000 series comes out and as prices drop.

I know that when tech you tubers etc do tests on CPU’s they use an rtx2080ti for example so they only test the cpu. And I know that in that situation you can see FPS improvements of 30% when going from a 1600 to a 3600.

However for me this isn’t the reality as I have a 5700xt, a decent card but not in the same league as the 2080ti.

Is there any information out there to suggest I will gain any improvement going from a 1600 to a 3600 with my current graphics card. If there isn’t I will probably just wait it out for the next few years until AM5 comes out and the 5000 series.

It looks like if anyone sees 30% FPS gain then is testing at a low screen resolution or low graphics details. Usually, it's like anything at 1440p or 1080p and high graphics details is mostly using a graphics card. Many games at 720p or low graphics details at 1080p run at high FPS and CPU performance is bumping numbers some more but it's like having 150 FPS vs 180 FPS, it really doesn't matter.

If you are looking for an upgrade then look for something at a higher CPU clock like 3600X or the next-gen which shouldn't be so much more expensive and then grab a 6 core with even a higher clock. I highly doubt we will need more than 6 cores for games anytime soon, or even in a year.

Recently I was testing most things using GTX1660Ti, RX5600XT, RX5700, or RX5700XT. I get no top graphics card samples and I see no point in spending so much money on comparison tests which maybe 3% gamers will use. Most gamers are looking for well-performing cards at a reasonable price. Cards above $700 are already way above the "reasonable tag".

With recent prices, I see no good reason to spend so much money on a high-end PC. It doesn't give so much better experience in games but often costs twice as much. Graphics cards like RX5700XT offer really good performance and are still not so expensive. I had no problems to play everything at 1440p. Even 5600XT was pretty good but already slower.
The main problem is that even the 2080Ti can't handle most games at 4K without a hiccup. On the other hand, graphics cards for half of its price can handle 1440p at high graphics details without problems.
Another thing is that each year I see fewer good games so I may wonder for what people are buying $1.5k graphics cards. Personally, I see more fun in Nintendo Switch games than anything new on PC.

Last edited:
Agree 100%, I would never spend on high end pc gear, the cost/performance drops off dramatically.

Yeh they 30% gains are on 1080p so maybe you have just answered my question really. I should probably get a 1440p monitor and the cpu will become less of an issue anyway.

Is there any information out there to suggest I will gain any improvement going from a 1600 to a 3600 with my current graphics card.
Absolutely. But how much will depend on the title and your settings. At 1080p in many titles, even on high/ultra, improvements of several percent can be found. It just depends on the game and what it needs to run unrestricted. Sometimes its core speed, sometimes core/thread count...some titles show improvement moving over a 4c/8t part... others not so much. So, yes.. but how much depends in several factors.

Back