• Welcome to Overclockers Forums! Join us to reply in threads, receive reduced ads, and to customize your site experience!

{Urgent} ASUS Z87-A RAM Problems

Overclockers is supported by our readers. When you click a link to make a purchase, we may earn a commission. Learn More.

Durvelle27

Registered
Ok so here's the short story. I ordered a ASUS Z87-A ATX motherboard. First one arrived with a few bent pins and i was sent a replacement but now i'm having problems with it. Problem is it won't boot when 2 sticks of RAM is installed. I have tried all dual channel slots & different configs. Only way i can get it to boot with two sticks is either set RAM to 800MHz or Single channel if not PC will constantly reboot. Please Help. What could the problem be.

Full Specs in config

When set to 800MHz, what does the memory tab of CPUz list as the memory speed?

Edit: The two sticks are in the same-colored slots, correct?

When set to 800MHz, what does the memory tab of CPUz list as the memory speed?

Edit: The two sticks are in the same-colored slots, correct?

Yes same slots and idk wouldn't boot set at 800MHz. But in single channel they work fine @1866MHz

I'm sure you have already done it but check for bent pins again. I had a similar issue where I could not boot with sticks in dual-channel or in the first 2 slots on my P67 board, and it turned out to be bent pins. I re-straightened them and all was well.

I'm sure you have already done it but check for bent pins again. I had a similar issue where I could not boot with sticks in dual-channel or in the first 2 slots on my P67 board, and it turned out to be bent pins. I re-straightened them and all was well.

Non bent pins that I could see

Its not Bent Pins its just they are not touching your Chip properly in your CPU Socket!!

How do i know this i have a same problem here with my CPU + SOCKET!!

AJ.

Ajay, be careful with your advice as you do not know that is in fact your problem (and, it was fixed last I checked?). You changed voltages which could have fixed it as well as cleaning off the contacts. For the OP, it works at 800Mhz, just not faster so it has to be making contact. Reseating never hurts of course, but, these are two different problems.

Last edited:
Ajay, be careful with your advice as you do not know that is in fact your problem (and, it was fixed last I checked?). You changed voltages which could have fixed it as well as cleaning off the contacts. For the OP, it works at 800Mhz, just not faster so it has to be making contact. Reseating never hurts of course, but, these are two different problems.

Reseatted twice but still was the same.

But after a suggestion from a member I ran MemTest86+ and this is what I got

h87r.jpg

Well before you test them 1 at a time I have a quick thing you can try Durvelle. Clear your Cmos so all starts on defaults. Set your ram voltage about .05 over default. Without setting anything else choose your XMP profile. Go to the DRam timings section and near the end you'll find an optin for ram training. I would enable it an see if the ram will then run correctly. From what I've read some ram kits don't set up properly on this new Z87 platform. This might help but no promises.

OK ran memtest on both sticks alone and both passed in first two slots after 8hrs but fail in last two.

Reseat your CPU, sounds like you either have two dead RAM slots or you have bad contact with the CPU/socket.

Back