• Welcome to Overclockers Forums! Join us to reply in threads, receive reduced ads, and to customize your site experience!

Urgent Help needed with wild computer problem

Overclockers is supported by our readers. When you click a link to make a purchase, we may earn a commission. Learn More.

lazimfo90

Registered
Hello.
To start briefly my sys specs are :
gigabyte ud3h b3 mobo , 2600k * stock speed , 8g kingston hyperx ddr3 , 128gb crucial m4.

As of today Ive been experiencing the following problem.The problem happened to occur when I was browsing the web at all times but I am not convinced that it was the relevant factor to this situation:
As I was browsing , the system dwells up (mouse still moves but with a busy cursor and the browser and task bar are unresposnive).The Hard drive activity light also goes on and stays on when this happens.
Then when I try to press crlt alt del to start the task manager it is unresponsive at first (and sometimes the screen turns black with the cursor still there) it gives me the "The logon process was unable to display security and logon options when CTRL+ALT+DELETE was pressed. If the operating system does not resp.."
popup. THEN IT RETURNS TO DESKTOP WHICH IS STILL UNRESPONSIVE.
Then either a random BSOD comes about OR application error messages such as this :
http://imageshack.us/photo/my-images/195/img2013041800051.jpg
Or with other random processes come about and most Icons start to dissapear off the desktop and taskbar (as though someone had deleted them).
THEN a random BSOD involving random processes , usually core windows processes such as this :
http://imageshack.us/photo/my-images/40/img2013041800049.jpg
This happens after about an hour of usage of the computer and has happened several times today already.
I will post my thread now and provide further information you could need to help me.
What could this problem be?
Thanks.

Last edited:
My first thought is RAM issues. Run MemTest or pull all sticks, replacing each one separately and booting with one at a time to get a first impression if that may be the issue. Maybe a full or failing HDD would be my next impression. :-/

Bump:
Powered on the computer today and it was back =|
After around 1 hour use same old system dwelling up (unresponsive) , busy cursor etc as described , then the BSOD followed (this time it told me that a critical system process unexpectidely terminated etc...Screenshot available if you need it ill post).
Ive reformatted the ssd and did and clean windows install , that didnt work.
I opened up the case , removed the ssd, cleaned the case from dust (it wasnt catastrophically dusty but a fair amount) , then put in a Hitachi 1TB Sata HDD
(it already had windows installed , but Ive reformatted it too and installed the OS freshly).
ALSO , before removing the SSD I ran Memtest86 and it didnt find any RAM errors.
I only ran it for one cycle though , should I run it longer?

Also important to point out that while I was installing the OS on the hitachi drive , the pc suddenly powered off (as if I pull it out of the outlet but that wasnt the case) and then tried to repower on automatically but turned off like 2 or 3 times after a second.
Ive unplugged the PSU , waited 5 minutes and tried again , this time I was able to install the OS (formatted the drive again just in case).

What should I do if the problem persists ?
(So far fingers crossed I really hope the harddrive change solved it).
I also reseated the ram just in case.
P.S I also reset the bios to "failsafe defaults" just in case.

Please tell us your PC parts and how old. Any major upgrades lately?

Parts..well the age of most parts dates to december 2011 when I bought my pc (custom built cyberpower).

Gigabyte Ud3h b3 motherboard
8GB Kingston hyperx DDR3 (not sure the speed I think pc3-12800)
Intel i7 2600k cooled by asetec watercooler (temps currently around 43c idle although hit low 50's idle before dust clean.)
Crucial M4 128gb SSD (used 009 firmware) bought in early 2012.
(was the only drive , now I put the old Hitachi 1TB which was orignially in the PC when I bought it).
Asus Geforce 670(non top) (bought it right after it was release i believe august 2012ish)
No major upgrades in the last few months , problem came about suddenly(started yesterday).

:comp:

Last edited:
Run it longer. Lazy Mo Fo.

Not urgent, just another OCF service call. You'd be on 24/7 here if it was urgent.

And your sig has no mention of your PSU. You might want to learn more about PSU's in out STICKIES in the PSU forum. If it's a no name ... umm Scotty, we found the problem. PSUs are the foundation of a powerful PC. Did you buy generic?

And like I mention to many that have been here a while. Make a sig! Tell us what you have. You don't have to type your stuff again. All you need is 5 posts.........

Edit: You added MORE wattage parts to the PC recently? Hmm, Cyberpower is going to go cheap and put the MINIMUM PSU in it for you. And you added bigger parts.

HMM. Might want to learn about PSU's and power requirements a bit. What was the original GPU wattage vs the new 670?

Last edited:
Run it longer. Lazy Mo Fo.

Not urgent, just another OCF service call. You'd be on 24/7 here if it was urgent.

And your sig has no mention of your PSU. You might want to learn more about PSU's in out STICKIES in the PSU forum. If it's a no name ... umm Scotty, we found the problem. PSUs are the foundation of a powerful PC. Did you buy generic?

And like I mention to many that have been here a while. Make a sig! Tell us what you have. You don't have to type your stuff again. All you need is 5 posts.........

Edit: You added MORE wattage parts to the PC recently? Hmm, Cyberpower is going to go cheap and put the MINIMUM PSU in it for you. And you added bigger parts.

HMM. Might want to learn about PSU's and power requirements a bit. What was the original GPU wattage vs the new 670?

Now no need to show that kind of disrespect and childishness .PSU is a Thermaltake Toughpower XT TPX-775M .Theres no way it can't handle a single 670.
The card has been in since summer 2012 and had worked fine for me (except for a issue with driver recover successfully screenflash ) which I got rid of.
Although , earlier today since I changed the harddrive there has been no more of this issue for several hours now in the past it occured after 40mins to a hour consistently , I think its gone..
Well hopefully.

Last edited:
Okay, but it's not urgent. It's just a PC. Setting the record straight. I have been here a long time. Good info helps. Might want to make sig. More info etc.

More like... come on, you been at this a while, but since it's a pre-built rig your still kinda new to the whole custom PC thing.

Good luck!

Update:
It apprers indeed that the m4 was faulty.
After I removed it and put in the 1TB hitachi drive the problem was gone and there had been no more issues with my pc.

However I should ask:
does the SSD have a manufacturer warranty , and can I demand a refund for it (cost me 200 bucks) .Also is there any chance this issue is fixable by updating the SSD's bios?

Depends how long you purchased your SSD. Usually, SSD's have a warranty of range from 1 month to 3 years depending on your manufacturer. I recommend you checking the Crucial website for the warranty period cause that would really save the weight off your shoulders. If it's within your retailer's exchange period, I would strongly recommend you bringing it back to them.
About your SSD's bios, no I don't think it would work... unless your an engineer.

About your SSD's bios, no I don't think it would work... unless your an engineer.

100% wrong: most Crucial M4 and Vertex3 issues are fixed through a firmware update. And no need to be an engineer:screwy:

Edit: there is nothing like 1month warranty (not legal). Usually, SSD's are under a 3 years warranty contract, same as HDD's.

Back