• Welcome to Overclockers Forums! Join us to reply in threads, receive reduced ads, and to customize your site experience!

URGENT Virus/Internet Issue

Overclockers is supported by our readers. When you click a link to make a purchase, we may earn a commission. Learn More.

Soichiro

So, I'm over at someone's house right now, and I just got done running Spybot and Avast to remove a bunch of spyware and viruses. However, after I restarted the computer, I found that neither IE nor Firefox can connect to the internet. IE gives the standard "Cannot display this page" screen, and firefox shows a screen saying "The connection to the server was reset while the page was loading." The only browser that works is the extremely slow ISP browser. I can't even connect to the DSL modem's configuration screen. Suggestions please! :(

I'm a noob, but could internet access be blocked by the hosts file?

I can't find the url, but google "scan for virus" and go to Symanntec's website and let them scan the system for you.

It will take awhile, but it's worth it.

Some virii are made to circumvent Symanntec's stuff, so I'd also go to MS site and d/l and run the "malicious software removal tool". There are 2 kinds. You want the one that runs all at once.

Then I'd check out your Task Manager, if there's any more trouble. AVG has a free and quick anti-virus checker that seems to do a good job, for me.

Good luck!

Run this and reboot:

http://www.softpedia.com/get/Tweak/Network-Tweak/WinSockFix.shtml

Winsockfix is a tool in my adware/virus removal arsenal. Often the malware will attach itself or replace one of the network settings and/or protocols. This resets those settings to default (requires a reboot to take effect).

If this still doesn't fix it you:

1 - Either still have an infection.

2 - Need to try a repair installation of windows (windows over existing install, requires product key and possibly activation but retains files and applications already installed - but some risk of losing the OS in the case of a bad infection).

Check out hijackthis and see if it's showing any unusual programs loading. If you're not savvy as to what prgrams are legit there's ways of posting logs and tons of information through searches on google.

This thread looks useful:

http://www.ocforums.com/showthread.php?t=497648

Last edited:
Another good way is to use a bootable xp recovery environment like BartPE or UBCD (ultirmate boot cd, http://www.ubcd4win.com/) and run the spyware removal and anti virus programs from there, that way your (perhaps) infected windows installation won't load and the malware won't be able to detect and circumvent the removers.

I just fixed one of these yesterday.

In my case norton was so hopelessly locked up that it was blocking all traffic other than ping (I could do a start, run, cmd, enter, ping google.com and get a response).

Turn off norton in msconfig startup and services, then I could hit the net to get updates for an alternative AV product and solve the problem. Trend Micro Housecall and Spybot Search and Destroy took care of the problem.

I would do a full reformat and install either Windows or Ubuntu. If my computer had a bunch of spyware and viruses on it I would NEVER feel safe on it again until there was a format (I run Linux so this would never happen ;)).

google a product called stinger (from mcaffee) could also help w/ this since its a stand-alone (doesnt install to the os) also before rebooting disable the ms recovery alot of the more aggressive DoS type virii will write to the recovery config files

My dad got one of these, it spread across my network and disabled my internet access too :eek:...

You got to do a system restore.. works for me.

Back