• Welcome to Overclockers Forums! Join us to reply in threads, receive reduced ads, and to customize your site experience!

USB 2.0 on XP?

Overclockers is supported by our readers. When you click a link to make a purchase, we may earn a commission. Learn More.

Psittac

is it possible? I gave my old PC to a friend and it's not supporting his usb 2.0 external hard drive above 1.0.

What if anything can I do to speed it up?

(western digital 1TB drive)

Are the usb ports actually usb 2.0?

Could also be a power issue, there are some cable that have 2 male plugs on one end that draw power from both usb ports although only 1 will pass data.

Are the usb ports actually usb 2.0?

Could also be a power issue, there are some cable that have 2 male plugs on one end that draw power from both usb ports although only 1 will pass data.

Well I looked up the motherboard on asus and it's supposedly usb2.0, I even hooked up to the ports on the back of the MB (none of them were labeled 2.0 or 1.0) and still xp said "this hi speed device can perform faster"

USB 2.0 may need to be enabled in BIOS.
Physical ports may still not be 2.0 on older computers.

USB2.0 with XP is completely possible. On my old system, the front ports had to be USB 2.0 ports, it wasn't a software upgrade, it was actually hardware that needed to be sent to me from the case maker.

My external USB 2.0 devices worked just fine at USB2.0 rates. You'd need to check if the ports are 1.1 or 2.0. If 2.0 then it's a software issue

Back