• Welcome to Overclockers Forums! Join us to reply in threads, receive reduced ads, and to customize your site experience!

USB device not recognized?

Overclockers is supported by our readers. When you click a link to make a purchase, we may earn a commission. Learn More.

Pepi93

Hi all,

Sometimes when I plug in my xbox controller into my ROCCAT keyboard usb my ROCCAT mouse will stop responding and I'll get the USB not recognized error and I have to reboot.

I also get this error just randomly and it's always the mouse. It's very infrequent but I have been experiencing this more often since I bought a xbox controller for PC gaming. Worst case scenario is being in a online game and the mouse just conks out and I have to unplug it or reboot. This has also happened in the past.

In power options I have USB selective suspend settings disabled.

Not sure how I can troubleshoot or fix this.

Thanks for your help.

Sounds like a buggy driver. A very common cause of USB issues, especially with USB 3.

I recently did a clean install and installed the latest driver for both the intel usb 3.0 driver as well as the mouse, although the mouse hasn't seen an update since 2014 and I've made them aware of this. I've contacted ROCCAT because this has been an ongoing issue but much less frequent than before.

What happens when you connect the controller directly? Have you checked the device manager for anything thats missing?

When you say directly I'm assuming you mean to the PC USB ports and not keyboard? I do one or the other and right now I don't recall if using the PC usb ports triggered the issue. I will do that from now on and see if it replicates...

Device manager doesn't show anything missing.

Thank you for your help.

If it works for you to connect the device directly to the PC but you still have the same issue on a PC USB 3 port then connect the device to a USB 2.0 hub port or install a USB 2.0 add in card.

Spoke to ROCCAT and their reply was that "manufacturers claim 100% compatibility for usb 3.0 ports to support 2.0 but this is just not the case".

I decided to purchase a 4 port usb 2.0 bracket from amazon. This way I'll plug both the keyboard and mouse into the header and avoid anymore issues.

Wasn't expensive.

I will, thank you.

I've since started plugging the xbox controller into my front PC ports instead of the keyboard and no issues since but I know from past experience that this happened from time to time regardless of plugging in other things.

I've noticed that a lot of motherboard bios updates have to do with addressing USB 3.0 issues. But they seldom actually fix them.

I'm reminded of the time I spent yelling at my USB Wi-Fi dongle this morning. NBD in a 3.0 port on win7, but bad at best functionality on ubuntu unless using a 2.0 port.

I have given up on Windows 10 on my laptop which shipped with Windows 8.1. You would have thought it would be happy with Windows 10 but it would lock up pretty frequently and I would lose work I had put valuable time in. I suspect it was a driver issue. I put Linux Mint on it and it's happy as a clam. I'm not down on Windows 10. Works great on my Desktop. But Microsoft keeps issuing new drivers that bork things like Bluetooth and WIFI dongles when the original Windows 10 drivers worked fine.

Sounds like you need to try another USB port. You possibly have a bad USB port or connector end. It can mean that it's not getting power.

Since my last post, I've been plugging the xbox controller into the PC directly.

I have also changed the USB port where I plug my mouse.

Everything was running smoothly and I was no longer getting the "usb device not recognized" errors when plugging my xbox controller into the PC.

The other day however, I got the error randomly without doing anything and had to reboot because the mouse stopped working.

Still waiting for the usb 2.0 bracket I ordered.

I have similar issues with using the USB ports on my Rosewill keyboard. I can tell you that Xbox controllers take more power than you think, so you may be overloading that line. Dependent on how power distribution for the USB ports is set up on your board, the only way to fix it may very well be that bracket.

I've been having issues lately with my mouse not coming up with Windows. I think it's just dirty USB ports, but if cleaning them doesn't work, I'll be wiping and reformatting as soon as my upgrades come in, so that should definitely fix it.

I've installed my usb 2.0 bracket a few days ago. All smooth so far, been using my usb 3.0 ports regularly for my xbox controller, usb keys etc with no issues.

Back