• Welcome to Overclockers Forums! Join us to reply in threads, receive reduced ads, and to customize your site experience!

usb devices are now write protected

Overclockers is supported by our readers. When you click a link to make a purchase, we may earn a commission. Learn More.

InfamousHindu

So haven't used this forum in years (literally, like almost 8 years) and was surprised my account still worked...I have a slight problem that has stumped me and can't seem to figure it out.

I have two USB drives and a thumb drive. I was able to delete and write to it until today. I was using Apricorn SATA 3.0 clone wire and software to clone my new SSD (which happened successfully) but now I cant write/delete/modify any of my USB devices. I tried the Regedit method, diskpart method, giving full control permissions as well, but none of those worked. I even tried plugging one of my USB devices into a different PC and got the same write protection error.

Any ideas?

Run the command line as an Adimistrator and type diskpart

Type list vloume

Type select volume # (whichever number your USB drive is)

Type attributes disk clear read only

EDIT: You could also use Disk in place of volume in the commands if volume doesn't work.

Remove the drive and pop it back in. I think that should do it.

EDIT: Someone even mentioned formating the USB right after clearing the read only attributes

Code:
list disk

select disk # (your USB drive)

clean

create partition primary align=1024

format fs=fat32 quick unit=4096

Last edited:
ok...so it appears that the client I'm working with installed a program and block all data transfers to USB devices...BAAHHHH!!! I'm a consultant and now my laptop can't transfer anything...great

That's not cool at all. Did you try to restore the system? Windows 8 has a feature to revert the system back to when you first installed the OS. You might have to completely disable Auto Play before using the USB's again so you can reformat them without the same thing happening again.
Then again, maybe go as far as "clean" in Diskpart which will remove the partition and leave the Raw drive. Then revert the OS then go back to Diskpart and create the partition from a clean OS.

I'm not sure about that feature in Win 8, haven't used it. From the sounds of it, with the USB being blocked, you might have to transfer to a machine over your network, just in case they get wiped using the restore.
There is a possibility that that feature will keep your files intact and just restore the OS.
There is also the possibility that their software has ruined your system to the point where you have to reinstall. I haven't experienced that type of USB blocking software before so I'm not sure of the extent of its abilities.

How about finding out what software your client used and research what changes it makes to the system to prevent use of the USB drives. There has to be a way to reverse it.
More than likely, it's in the registry.

There is probably a way to make a USB to look like a CD drive but I don't know how to pull that off. Would be a neat trick though.

Back