• Welcome to Overclockers Forums! Join us to reply in threads, receive reduced ads, and to customize your site experience!

USB Hub Not Working

Overclockers is supported by our readers. When you click a link to make a purchase, we may earn a commission. Learn More.

Atomic_Sheep

My USB hub was working for me a while back, now it has stopped working.

Specifically my Dell U2713H USB hub doesn't recognise any USB devices. There is power there since I charge my phone there every day, but none of my USB devices can be used through it.

Admittedly I was playing around with trying to get USB to get recognised in Oracle VirtualBox, so perhaps I broke something somewhere.

How do I go about getting it to work again? I've tried plugging in the USB connector cable to a different slot in my computer with no luck.

I wouldn't think usb pass through on a virtual machine hurt anything. The issue definitely shouldn't happen if the vm isnt open. Can you use the port inside the virtual machine? If not you can hopefully rule that out as the source of the issue.

1st) make double certain that it is the port and not your test usb device. Test the device on another machine to see if it is recognized. If it still cant be seen on another machine, your monitor port may not be the issue. You kay have done this already and are already certain, but I just want to double check.

2nd) check the device manager and see if there are any yellow exclamation points that would alert to a problem.

3rd) if all else failed then you can try reinstalling the driver for the monitor. Get a fresh download of it from the Dell support page for you monitor and see if that gets you anywhere.

If step 3 fails also, hopefully someone else has some more insight into the issue. Good luck :D

Thanks Knoober...

Unfortunately way ahead of you, already tried exactly those three things before posting :(.

There is high possibility that USB hub got disconnected from motherboard somehow. Even new laptops tend to lose connection of USB devices if usb cable is jiggled around. I can only suggest to open it up and check it out. But be sure to let someone else handle it if you are not sure what are you doing.

There is high possibility that USB hub got disconnected from motherboard somehow. Even new laptops tend to lose connection of USB devices if usb cable is jiggled around. I can only suggest to open it up and check it out. But be sure to let someone else handle it if you are not sure what are you doing.

Don't think that's the case in this situation. For this monitor, as far as I know (and as I mentioned previously since it was working before) you need to connect a USB cable from the monitor to the motherboard for the hub to work. Without the USB cable, you only get power from the USB hub but no USB signal. The cable runs from the monitor directly into the motherboard. Nothing could have gotten disconnected and as I mentioned, I've tried inserting the cable running form the monitor into a different slot in the motherboard.

Have you tried a different cable? Or made sure the cable works on a known working device? Just sayin' it could be the cable also....

Hmm will try a different cable but I'm pretty sure it's not the cable. It kinda stopped working half way through the day as I was playing with various things on my computer.

No no USB setting in the monitor.

Back