• Welcome to Overclockers Forums! Join us to reply in threads, receive reduced ads, and to customize your site experience!

USB power splitter

Overclockers is supported by our readers. When you click a link to make a purchase, we may earn a commission. Learn More.

petteyg359

Likes Popcorn
There is a problem somewhere between Android 8.1 on my phone and Android 4.2.2 in my new car's system (why a 2018 model car (Honda Clarity PHEV) is being sold with 4.2.2 is another question). Android Auto resets/disconnects whenever the phone reaches 100% battery, but the phone has to be plugged in to use Android Auto.

So, I want the data always connected for Android Auto, and I want to be able to flip a switch to disconnect the power. Is this at all possible? I don't know whether USB even works if you cut out the power pins.

Cant you set it to connect with data only when using usb? Youd have to reset that when you want to charge but all i can think of atm..

Have you contacted Honda with this issue? It's a 2018 so this should be something that can be troubleshot under warranty.

Cant you set it to connect with data only when using usb? Youd have to reset that when you want to charge but all i can think of atm..

This happens while I'm driving on long trips, so I do need some charging or the phone would die before I got where I'm going. The car display does have a little icon for the phone battery, so I can tell when to turn charging on or off, but I need a simple switch. I don't want to have to pull out my phone and mess with it while I'm on the interstate.

- - - Auto-Merged Double Post - - -

Have you contacted Honda with this issue? It's a 2018 so this should be something that can be troubleshot under warranty.

Yep. But it's been months, other people have the issue, and AFAIK there's no news on a fix, hence looking for a workaround.

Off-topic, but all those hyphens in your signature make it take a full screen-height on my phone...

Are you using the mobile theme or desktop theme when browsing on your phone?

Are you using the mobile theme or desktop theme when browsing on your phone?

I'm using whatever the default is. Firefox has "request desktop page" left unchecked.

On topic, it looks like USB requires the 5V before data happens, so Android Auto needs power. So any charge "interrupter" would need another USB chip in between to negotiate a lower charge rate, so that the phone burns power faster than it charges. Still haven't found anything for sale that actually does that, though :(

Last edited:
A diode in series with the 5V pin might drop the voltage enough to slow down the charging.

Back