• Welcome to Overclockers Forums! Join us to reply in threads, receive reduced ads, and to customize your site experience!

Used ASUS OC tuner.....4.0GHz results x970

Overclockers is supported by our readers. When you click a link to make a purchase, we may earn a commission. Learn More.

andypwnedyou

Registered
Sooo Asus has a auto OC utility that runs your CPU through a series of OCs till it finds a stable result.

heres what I got

CPU frequency 230MHz
CPU voltage 1.45V
CPU/NB voltage 1.25
DRAM voltage 1.5

anybody with this CPU think this is a good result?

EDIT:
UGH i am not getting a stable OC from this. running Heaven 3.0, I crash about halfway through

Last edited:
Okay I found out since I have the Black edition I will only have to change the multiplier at first. It was confusing at first but I figured it out. so far a solid 4.0 was achieved by just changing the multiplier to 20. temps are at 47C under heavy load

Last edited:
Before you conclude that your overclock settings are stable you should run the Prime95 blend test for at least two hours and see if any of the core workers drop out or if you get BSOD. What is your ram frequency set to?

Yeah, go through the BIOS. I got to 4ghz with my 960t on 1.41v. 1.45v is way to high for that low of overclock. If it fails during prime95, bump up your voltage a step at a time and continue until it doesn't fail.

Okay decided to start from sratch.....heres my default setting in the bios

CPU ratio- 17.5
CPU bus freq- 200
PCIE freq- 100
DRAM- auto
CPU/NB- Auto
HT link speed- Auto

CPU & NB voltage mode- offset
CPU offset voltage- 1.404
CPU/NB offset voltage- 1.1
DRAM voltage- auto
HT voltage- Auto
NB voltage- Auto

now since I have the black edition do I just raise the CPU ratio by .5 till I get blue screen? then raise the voltage? how much should I raise the voltage? should I make some of these options not Auto?

Would this all be easier if I just bought this?
http://www.newegg.com/Product/Product.aspx?Item=N82E16819115072
http://www.newegg.com/Product/Product.aspx?Item=N82E16813130648

EDIT: okay by just raising the multiplier to 20 I got to 4.0 again.....running stress tests now before I proceed
Edit2: 30 mins in CPU 100% blend test stays at 57C....highest its gone is 58C

Last edited:
That's quite high for temps. Nothing to be worried about, just wouldn't want it everyday.

What cooler do you have?

And it'd be the exact same procedure with intel CPUs.

I'm guessing you have an Asus board?

Disable these options in BIOS, if you have them:

Core Performance boost
AMD C1E Support
AMD C6 Support
Virtualization
AMD K8 Cool&Quiet Control
AMD APM Master Mode

Okay decided to start from sratch.....heres my default setting in the bios

CPU ratio- 17.5
CPU bus freq- 200
PCIE freq- 100
DRAM- auto
CPU/NB- Auto
HT link speed- Auto

CPU & NB voltage mode- offset
CPU offset voltage- 1.404
CPU/NB offset voltage- 1.1
DRAM voltage- auto
HT voltage- Auto
NB voltage- Auto

now since I have the black edition do I just raise the CPU ratio by .5 till I get blue screen? then raise the voltage? how much should I raise the voltage? should I make some of these options not Auto?

Would this all be easier if I just bought this?
http://www.newegg.com/Product/Product.aspx?Item=N82E16819115072
http://www.newegg.com/Product/Product.aspx?Item=N82E16813130648

EDIT: okay by just raising the multiplier to 20 I got to 4.0 again.....running stress tests now before I proceed

That's the right idea, more or less.

1. Raise the multiplier .5x at at time.
2. After every increment of increase, test for tentative stability by running 20 minutes of Prime95 blend.
3. Don't increase CPU voltage until you fail the first 20 minute Prime blend test. Then add a small increment of CPU voltage and retest for 20 minutes.

Always have HWMonitor open on your desktop to montior core temps and CPU socket temps, aiming to keep the core temps from exceeding mid 55c or so (where instability typically sets in) or the CPU socket temps from exceeding about 65c or so (higher than that puts you into "might fry CPU" territory.

Repeat the process in steps 1-3 until you hit a temp or a stability wall. Report back. There are a couple of other tweaks that help when you approach the upper end of the overclock. In the end you will need to test stability for at least 2 hrs. of Prime before concluding the overclock is stable.

That's quite high for temps. Nothing to be worried about, just wouldn't want it everyday.

What cooler do you have?

And it'd be the exact same procedure with intel CPUs.

I'm guessing you have an Asus board?

Disable these options in BIOS, if you have them:

Core Performance boost
AMD C1E Support
AMD C6 Support
Virtualization
AMD K8 Cool&Quiet Control
AMD APM Master Mode
Yeah I will be sure to disable those features when I go back to overclocking, gotta finish this damn term paper first. (Don't these professors know I got better things to do? haha)

I have a stock cooler from AMD, any suggestions on a different one are greatly appreciated!

EDIT: also that temp is only when the CPU is at 100%. idle I get 41C playing games like GTA 4 or BF3 I get 52C-55C

Last edited:
before everyone says it... hyper 212+ ! lol or evo

Okay so I'm not sure what to do at this point. I got the CPU to be stable at 20 multiplier but if I try to change the voltage to get a higher multiplier my OS will not load.

Should I leave the voltage at offset [Auto] then just press + once each time I try to boot till it works?

Any suggestions?

If I try to use manual voltage the OS will never load no matter what I do. I had it set at 1.453125v which is over the stock voltage so far, and it still will not boot. should I go to 1.46+?

my core voltage varies in the BIOS when it is set to offset. I'm new to all this so I'm obvious to what to do.

Last edited:
Can you run "CPU-Z", go to the "About" tab, and save a .txt report? Upload it here :)

58c in Prime95 isn't all that bad, especially on the stock cooler. However some Phenom II X4 don't like to be around and above 55 when on the edge of stability...

Looks like your CPU has a 1.4v VID. (Stock voltage from AMD)
Manual mode should work...I don't really understand why it wouldn't.

If you choose to go with offset (and it works,) then +0.05v will get you 1.45v vcore. (Instead of auto)

4 GHz is a good overclock on the stock cooler, especially if you can keep temps below 65c. If you want (much) more, you will have to get an aftermarket solution like others have suggested...

But it looks to me like your CPU is a good overclocker if you can get 4 GHz on 1.45v ;)

Okay so prime95 runs good for over an 1 1/2, but when i'm playing games for over 2 hours or so and I get caught up in a multi-jet/tank explosion. my game will randomly get distorted and make a hideous noise, then every-time i go to open a program after that it will do the same.

CPU multiplier is at 20.0
voltage is a at 1.45v

should i raise the voltage a tad? what do you think is causing this?

Could this be a video card overheating problem?
no, I'm 200% sure its not. I'm running a brand new GTX 680 SC with the back plate, it runs under full load at 50-55c in BF3 and Crysis 2. This also only happens when I OC my CPU.

LOL...

Try running Prime95 Large FFT for 4 hours...please note that your CPU may heat up more than it did with Prime95 Blend. I would also run Blend for 4 hours + to ensure CPU_NB/memory stability.

One guy in another thread called me out for suggesting 4 hours since barely passing 1 hour does the trick for him. That isn't always the case.

LOL...

Try running Prime95 Large FFT for 4 hours...please note that your CPU may heat up more than it did with Prime95 Blend. I would also run Blend for 4 hours + to ensure CPU_NB/memory stability.

One guy in another thread called me out for suggesting 4 hours since barely passing 1 hour does the trick for him. That isn't always the case.
Okay I'm getting my hyper 212 evo in the mail on Monday so Ill install it and run the Large FFT then so my CPU doesn't melt into my MB haha I'll also try turning up the voltage a tad, probably 1.46v see if that helps.

Thanks for all the help guys

Okay I'm getting my hyper 212 evo in the mail on Monday so Ill install it and run the Large FFT then so my CPU doesn't melt into my MB haha I'll also try turning up the voltage a tad, probably 1.46v see if that helps.

Thanks for all the help guys

sic! you should be able to stay in the 1.464-1.6 range

Back