• Welcome to Overclockers Forums! Join us to reply in threads, receive reduced ads, and to customize your site experience!

Using 775 cooler for 1155

Overclockers is supported by our readers. When you click a link to make a purchase, we may earn a commission. Learn More.

jumpper

Hi all, I'm new and I'm having a question related to cooling and I'm wondering if someone can shade some light on this problem.

I got myself this MB: and got a 1155 processor.

The problem is that I don't have the stock cooler for the 1155 processor; but I have a 775 stock cooler that works just fine. This motherboard seems to have the holes for both 775 and 1155.

Also, comparing both TDP, it seems it's 84W against 69W, favouring the 1155 processor.

Would it be OK to use it for this new setup?

Thanks!!

Thank you Nebulous, I wasn't thinking too much of OC this particular processor (as it isn't very overclockable); but getting stock fans for 1155 is pretty hard here, so I will probably settle with that.

Thanks!!

Jumpper, depending on how wide your case is you can always get an aftermarket Heatsink such as a Coolermaster Hyper 212 +. I have seen it on sale for 19.99 at times and it is a really good cooler for the price. I have a I5-2500k oced to 4.6 with one.

Jumpper, depending on how wide your case is you can always get an aftermarket Heatsink such as a Coolermaster Hyper 212 +. I have seen it on sale for 19.99 at times and it is a really good cooler for the price. I have a I5-2500k oced to 4.6 with one.

Mandrake, I was thinking on getting that one! But it kinda seemed like overkill for the kind of processor. I will stick with this one for now, but if I have heat trouble or something like that I will definitely get the one you mention.

thanks for your help guys!! :thup:

Mandrake, I was thinking on getting that one! But it kinda seemed like overkill for the kind of processor. I will stick with this one for now, but if I have heat trouble or something like that I will definitely get the one you mention.

thanks for your help guys!! :thup:

there's no such overkill when we're dealing with cooling device :popcorn:

I'm currently running an ancient athlon 64 x2 4000+ with TR-Venoumous,
not to mention that I'm slapping an Denki SG on it (two actually, while the other one as an exhaust inside my case) :rofl:

overkill?
definitely nope as I would say, since I can run my fans @600-ish rpm and the temps barely touch 55 on prime (I live on a quite warm temperate country), even when I OC'ed to 2.8 (quite something for this aging procie :D)

the benefit I gain....
running this machine for 24/7 and you still can share your bedroom with it :rofl:

Back