• Welcome to Overclockers Forums! Join us to reply in threads, receive reduced ads, and to customize your site experience!

Using four stick memory pack for tri-channel setup

Overclockers is supported by our readers. When you click a link to make a purchase, we may earn a commission. Learn More.

Trivius

I just had a thought and would like to confirm if I am correct or not.

Initially I was looking at getting Corsair Platinum to use along with an ASUS Rampage III Gene; which then I thought would cause timing issues being that it is setup in packs intended for use with even channels, so I was going to just go with the Corsair Vengeance. Though it just dawned on me that I might be able to go with the Platinum edition after all, as I can adjust the memory settings via the BIOS.

That is if I am correct on this assertion, or is there more to it, as with the matching of the memory chips themselves (I am totally new to OC, i.e., this would be my first MOBO that will allow me to do things such as this)?

* I was looking at the (4x4) 16GB 2133Mhz package (which would leave me with one backup stick).

Last edited:
you'll be fine using three of the 4 sticks they are just binned to run well together in a quad setup you could use 1-2-3-4 sticks with no problems:)

Gracias. ...And assuming then, there would be zero conflicts/limitations arising when OC them in a tri-channel configuration.

Also, I had forgot to mention that the 2133Mhz comes in both 1.5 and 1.65 volts, and thus, I was wondering the benefits of each or the recommended set to purchase, e.g., would 1.65 provide more over-clocking potential or just run hotter with no real difference?

If you are running Bloomfield cpu then you won't even use anything above 2000 but you can get 2133 sticks just to set them on lower clock with tighter timings what will give about the same effect.
Usually lower voltage = better as you can set higher voltage for overclocking. There is no special difference in temps.

I'm going to test my Crucial Elite sticks on X58 in next days as I have 4 sticks and I'm curious how will they work on my board ... and if it's point to buy 3rd kit for 24GB ;)
On other platforms Crucial Elite 1600 are making about 1600 7-7-7 1.55-1.60V or 1800 8-8-8 1.55-1.60V.

Back