• Welcome to Overclockers Forums! Join us to reply in threads, receive reduced ads, and to customize your site experience!

Using HP 6940 as a network printer with Linux and XP?

Overclockers is supported by our readers. When you click a link to make a purchase, we may earn a commission. Learn More.

Dusnoetos

just as the Tile asks

I have a HP 6940 printer that is currently connected via Ethernet (through a switch) to my 3 computers.
We are getting ready to switch my wifes computer from XP to Ubuntu. Will my wifes computer continue to be able to use that printer?

From what I have read HP printers are widely supported under Linux... what I cant find is if I can use the printer on a network that uses both XP computers and Linux computers. (and if I can what needs to happen to make it all work smoothly.)

just as the Tile asks

I have a HP 6940 printer that is currently connected via Ethernet (through a switch) to my 3 computers.
We are getting ready to switch my wifes computer from XP to Ubuntu. Will my wifes computer continue to be able to use that printer?

From what I have read HP printers are widely supported under Linux... what I cant find is if I can use the printer on a network that uses both XP computers and Linux computers. (and if I can what needs to happen to make it all work smoothly.)

You shouldnt have any problems with this. Although I am not familiar with that specific printer we have several networked hp printers that support all 3 of the major platforms (windows, linux, mac) and everything works fine.

If the Linux computer works with the printer through a network, adding Windows computers or Macs to that network has no effect on functionality. Packets are routed from the computer to the printer via the switch. Other computers are irrelevant. It would only be an important consideration if the printer were locally connected to a PC (e.g. USB or parallel) and PC's of a different OS needed to access it.

Back