• Welcome to Overclockers Forums! Join us to reply in threads, receive reduced ads, and to customize your site experience!

Using Windows server 2012 as HTPC server?

Overclockers is supported by our readers. When you click a link to make a purchase, we may earn a commission. Learn More.

jmdixon85

So I tried this a few years ago using Windows server 2008r2 and it wouldn't work.

I was trying to use my DVB freeview card in my server and was going to use Mediaportal to stream the live broadcasts.

However after installing the DVB card I soon learned that the windows server OS lacked certain components to use the card in any way. After searching it seemed there was nothing that could be done about the problem so I gave up.

But has anyone tried this with server 2012?

I don't want to waste my time trying it if its a certain no-go. But I don't think many people will use a server OS this way so I may have to just try. Its atleast a week till I will get the chance to try this so it was worth asking.

One will test it for himself! I thought the use would be obvious, I guess not?

And to answer the first question.... The same reason I want a server, To serve my needs in a centralised location. ? So can Windows server be used in this way?

I think you may be over-thinking needing to use a server OS to serve up data? I use Windows 7 as my HTPC and for a NAS/slingbox (using plex) with zero issues. I'm not sure if there would be compatible drivers for your hardware with server2012 (would check for windows 8 drivers as they are basically the same).

Back