• Welcome to Overclockers Forums! Join us to reply in threads, receive reduced ads, and to customize your site experience!

Utility Software

Overclockers is supported by our readers. When you click a link to make a purchase, we may earn a commission. Learn More.

Wipeout

Just wondering what people use to keep your os in shape.CCleaner is almost a given,but other than that program.I like the program, Tune-Up Utilities because it has turbo mode.Basically,It turns off all the crap that runs in the backround,until your turn it off.I haves have turbo mode turned on 99% of the time,until I clean the registry,or use another function within the program.

I disagree.I always use Disk Keeper to maintain my gaming hard drive.Not cleaning your registry after a period of time will affect performance imo.To each his own,but I wouldn't be without it.

On my SSD,Nothing,but use that for gaming too.

I havent touched a registry cleaner or ram scrubber or anything which you described in nearly 5 years. Today's systems just dont need it if you pay half attention to the stuff you install anyway.

Those that do use those for whatever reason, do like CCleaner however. No problems doing anything without... been burned a couple of times with. There are a couple threads here about this that just came up actually.

I havent touched a registry cleaner or ram scrubber or anything which you described in nearly 5 years. Today's systems just dont need it if you pay half attention to the stuff you install anyway.

Those that do use those for whatever reason, do like CCleaner however. No problems doing anything without... been burned a couple of times with. There are a couple threads here about this that just came up actually.

I have a challenge for you! Next time you do a fresh install of windows,and get all your programs installed the way you like,Install Tune Up Utilities,and do a 1 click maintenance.You'll be suprised at all the bs it will clean up in your registry and other areas.Thats assuming your not using a saved image file,but even then you'll be surprised.When it finds 530 miscellaneous errors,It's going to be hard to to push the fix button :)

On a side note,you can view the errors is going to correct,instead of blindly accepting the fix.

Thanks, but no thanks. My system(s) run bangin fast as is with no errors. I do have an image I install from anyway.

I find it hard to believe things get messed up immediately after an installation as well. I mean the only things that can be cleaned up are leftover installation files really.

For my mechanical drive, I just let the windows defrag take care of it. No problems there.

Honestly, I just dont need it. And you will see both sides of this if you checkout the recent thread on the same subject. :)

EDIT: Here is a post I found...http://www.overclockers.com/forums/showpost.php?p=7223484&postcount=8

Personally I don't trust any third-party registry cleaning programs, especially from unknown sources, for determining that my registry has errors that need to be repaired or deleted. If you were to do a registry scan w/ ten different so-called registry cleaning / repair programs, you'd get ten different scan results. So being that the results would be different based on the program, which one would you trust to clean your registry?

A guy posted here some time ago that used the built-in registry cleaner in CCleaner, after which on reboot Windows refused to load either to normal mode or safe mode. He hadn't made a backup beforehand, and had important data on the drive that he couldn't afford to lose.

Last edited:
I'm on board with you ED.

I really don't load much onto my Frankenclones that doesn't/won't get used regularly, just too much bloat and dead-ware that isn't needed. In fact I uninstall programs that I haven't used in at least 6 months, even games, then scan my registry manually to make sure I'm rid of footprints which usually are uninstalled as well. CCCleaner helps me a touch with temp files and cookies that FF allows (although the setting is for none). I manually set my start up programs and utilities, services and such. Old habits die hard but seem to keep the system pretty fast and smooth. :cool:

Everytime you delete something on your pc it will make a change.That means that the registry will have a invaded path that no longer exists.After time it will leave fragments,hence using a defrag program.I cant imagine not cleaning all that stuff periodically.Thats one example.What program to use is debatable,but saying nothing is ever needed is ludicrous.Its like saying I never change my oil in my car,but it still run great.

*delete a program. A file (say picture/music) doesnt have a registry entry, does it? (serious question)

Here is the thing... to run on your car analogy... each oil change place does things different and never says the same thing. Which one do you trust? (taken from redduc's post). Why would you trust something..anything that cant pinpoint what really needs to be fixed or cleaned has no place on my PC.

I dont know, I benchmark where every thousandth of a second counts and apps of that type dont help. I game and get as good of results as any......without using these applications. I do not get software caused BSODs.

To each their own, but so long as you are semi conscious of what you install on your PC, things like this are not remotely needed IMO.

I respect your point of view,but let me be more specific.Delete a file,folder,document ect.. = invalid path.Those are everyday events for most people.

I respect your point of view,but let me be more specific.Delete a file,folder,document ect.. = invalid path.Those are everyday events for most people.

With all due respect, files, folders and documents don't leave a path once deleted. Perhaps you're thinking of programs which do have registry entries and paths, dll's, and such. Those must be uninstalled, not just deleted, otherwise you leave all those "hanging chads" that you seem to have referred to in your OP.:)

Let me ask again... is there a registry entry for simple flat files like that or just extensions from applications like DLL's etc?

I think you are talking more about fragmentation of HDD's, no? Which I let windows do their magic on in the backround anyway.

I honestly dont know how that works exactly, but it doesnt look it and you are talking drive fragmentation... not registry.

With all due respect, files, folders and documents don't leave a path once deleted. Perhaps you're thinking of programs which do have registry entries and paths, dll's, and such. Those must be uninstalled, not just deleted, otherwise you leave all those "hanging chads" that you seem to have referred to in your OP.:)
Got ninja'd... EXACTLY what I was thinking. :thup:

Typically, when you update versions or uninstall/delete something, there will be some type of registry entries based on the old version or removed software. Those are usually the only errors that CCleaner picks up for me, and it's due to updating and/or uninstalling/deleting something.

So, I run CCLeaner after I update and install/uninstall things, that's pretty much it. Even if it's been a long time between updates, the errors picked up are usually just from me making changes since I'm careful about what I do. I even run without anti-virus at all, and only install it rarely for a quick scan and then promptly remove it.

To be honest,I would have to do some research to give you a better answer.CCleaner is great,but does not address all registry errors.

So let me get this straight.Lets say I have a folder on my desktop.I delete the folder,so it no longer exists,then do a search,it would come up empty.Why? A invalid path that no longer exists.It did before deletion.The registry has to have a record of everything on your pc.If it didn't then the search function would be worthless.

Last edited:
I'm not certain, but from what I have been reading, I dont think that is correct and you are talking about fragmentation of the HDD. The registry, again from what i read/linked/understand, doesn't hold placeholders for flat files like that.The catalog/index on your HDD is where that is located, I believe.

The Windows Registry is a hierarchical database that stores configuration settings and options on Microsoft Windows operating systems. It contains settings for low-level operating system components and for applications running on the platform that have opted to use the registry. The kernel, device drivers, services, SAM, user interface and third party applications can all make use of the registry. The registry also provides a means to access counters for profiling system performance.
I dont see anything in the article that mentions flat files...

I have a challenge for you! When it finds 530 miscellaneous errors,It's going to be hard to to push the fix button :)

I respectfully turn your attention to 150 years ago, when the same approach was used by snake oil salesmen.

I do use CCleaner to clean up historical entries, like last used/opened/edited files etc. but we here are of the opinion that registry cleaners should not be used. There are certainly other things you can do, from disabling third-party programs running at boot time... to common sense stuff like never installing any Toolbars... to setting up a three minute nuke & reimage of the entire operating system partition... but do not run programs which claim they will speed up your computer by "cleaning" your registry.

Quote For The Win is:
Personally I don't trust any third-party registry cleaning programs, especially from unknown sources, for determining that my registry has errors that need to be repaired or deleted. If you were to do a registry scan w/ ten different so-called registry cleaning / repair programs, you'd get ten different scan results. So being that the results would be different based on the program, which one would you trust to clean your registry?

A guy posted here some time ago that used the built-in registry cleaner in CCleaner, after which on reboot Windows refused to load either to normal mode or safe mode. He hadn't made a backup beforehand, and had important data on the drive that he couldn't afford to lose.

That's compelling evidence!

I respectfully turn your attention to 150 years ago, when the same approach was used by snake oil salesmen.
Quote For The Win is:

I also mentioned that you can view the errors.I see alot of invalid paths.Some of which I know was deleted,that were not programs.Am I going to say I believe in Tune up Utilities 100% No! lets just say it leaves me with a sense of security,which could be false,but it makes me feel better. I received this program for free,and didn't waste money :) and with Turbo Mode on,I'm not wasting any extra resources that run in the backround.

Last edited:
So if I create a shortcut to X...

After I delete X, there is now an invalid path to X. That in no way slows down my computer, I simply cannot execute a shortcut to nothing.

Basic apps like MSE and Spybot...

Microsoft Powershell is pretty much all I need once I get my installation laid down and tuned.

I use it to gather info most people would use a 3rd party utility to get.

CPU Speed/Specs
Fanspeed/CPU Temp
System Tuning (Performance Tuning)
Detailed BIOS Information
Detailed Memory Information
Disk/Memory Usage
Diagnostics (Searching through event logs, etc)
Baseboard(motherboard) information
Add-In Card information
Duped Files (MD5 Hash -or- Name+ModDate+Size)
Aged Files (User Selectable Date)
Installed Apps
Product IDs

etc...

Powershell 2.0 is actually pretty sweet and comes with Win7, and you can download the updated version 3.0

EXAMPLE
Question: What exact versions of video drivers do I have installed?
Answer: gwmi -class Win32_VideoController -computer yourcomputernamehere | select *

Don't want to take the time to open the Powershell ISE and enter the command? Save that code above as a script (.ps1) or save the code to a .txt file and run it through a batch file like this:

powershell -Command - <c:\ScriptDirectory\Scriptname.txt
pause

I just make txt files of all my scripts, then create the batch files and store them in a Scripts folder. No extra programs to install that do basically the same thing as I can do in powershell...

Last edited:
Back