• Welcome to Overclockers Forums! Join us to reply in threads, receive reduced ads, and to customize your site experience!

Utility Software

Overclockers is supported by our readers. When you click a link to make a purchase, we may earn a commission. Learn More.
Run an experiment on your computer. Go to "run" and type in "regedit", then to the registry taskbar, click on the tab for "edit", then "find" and type in the name of a flat file such as one you've saved for later reference such as a particular photo (whatever name you gave the photo) or a spreadsheet. Let the "find" function try to locate it.

If you have a current program installed such as MS Excel or a game such as Call of Duty, search for "Excel" or "Duty" (not Call as you have a lot of program features that use the term Call).

Compare and contrast.

I cant tell if that is sarcastic or not... its the same thing I said, LOL!

I was being serious :D

So if I create a shortcut to X...

After I delete X, there is now an invalid path to X. That in no way slows down my computer, I simply cannot execute a shortcut to nothing.

Probably not.Try that 1000 times, which is not hard do over time,and it will give your defrag program something to do! Either way do you want all those invalid paths.Thats assuming I'm correct.

Last edited:
Who could argue against removing 1,000 dead shortcuts one does not need, regardless of how it affects performance.

If there is some sort of a dead shortcut finder, we are with you, without even going into how much of a performance boost that would yield. However, the issue here is that since we have seen so called registry "cleaners" do more harm than good as evidenced by untold number of posts we've seen, we recommend they not be used.

There are plenty of cases when neither the so called "cleaner" nor the uneducated user is aware that some of the items being removed, will disrupt - not improve - performance of your computer system. Therein lies the problem.

Who could argue against removing 1,000 dead shortcuts one does not need, regardless of how it affects performance.

If there is some sort of a dead shortcut finder, we are with you, without even going into how much of a performance boost that would yield. However, the issue here is that since we have seen so called registry "cleaners" do more harm than good as evidenced by untold number of posts we've seen, we recommend they not be used.

There are plenty of cases when neither the so called "cleaner" nor the uneducated user is aware that some of the items being removed, will disrupt - not improve - performance of your computer system. Therein lies the problem.
I cant give out any more thanks so... QFT! :thup:

Never realized this was such a touchy subject.From personal experience,I have used both these programs for a few years without any problems,that I know(Tune Up & ccleaner).I can see the other side of the coin now,why some people would stay away from cleaning programs.If these programs put the scare in you,dont download any bootleg games,or you'll really be disappointed.No! I DON'T pirate games,but I do wear a eye patch :)

Last edited:
Just wanted to post a screenie of what CCleaner found in the registry after I moved my Steam folder from "Program Files" to "Program Files (x86)" and deleted the last two items from my desktop. Not sure what the top two items are though, looks like they may have something to do with AutoCAD.

1.PNG

Not sure what the top two items are though...

While you may know what you're doing, how many times and how many users have not been sure before they clicked to remove items they are not sure about?

I just did a reformat,and clean install on my pc.After installing all my programs,drivers,and tweaking, everthing is running smooth.I wanted to update my image file anyway.I used ccleaner to fix some errors,and then used Tune up Utilities for a final sweep.It found 186 errors in the registry.ALL were broken shortcuts and minor problems.Makes sense,because I had alot to do,and some programs get uninstalled after first use.This works for me,and my pc as not suffered from using these 2 programs to my knowledge.To each his own,but these programs work well for my purpose.I also use Disk Keeper Pro to keep my hdd drive from getting two fragmented.Never on my ssd's,but always on mechanical drives.

Last edited:
This works for me, these programs work well for my purpose.

We can talk about your purpose. Is your purpose to have a smooth, top performing system all the time?

If the purpose is to have it perform as fast as after initial install, do these "cleaning" programs make you think they will take away any damage made by running/installing software and generally "tune up" your PC after certain period of use?

Consider this:
Install two Windows OS on two relatively small SSD partitions.
Maybe Windows 7 or 8 on C drive
Maybe Windows XP on D Drive

Install only small programs on those partitions.
Install large programs instead of to (for example) C:\Program Files instead install them to E:\Program Files 7 or E:\Program Files XP

Set everything up just like you want it to be in every program. Move Desktop, Start Menu, Personal folders away from OS partitions, they can be set to not be on C: Drive.
Do not store any personal files on OS partitions.

Now you can reboot from one OS into the other and image/reimage one from the other in a couple of minutes. This means that whatever damage was done to your perfect Windows install, you can reboot and nuke the entire OS and restore it in a couple of minutes.

If really obsessed with perfection, if really obsessed with everything running 0.1 seconds FASTER, then keep a txt file on your Desktop and add to it any imperfections to your Windows image. Then when Windows Update releases new updates once a month, you reboot, reimage, install Windows update + whatever changes you want done once a month.

Save your images on a separate hard drive for faster imageing/reimaging.

My old Windows 9x/Me/2000 machines are actually usable and very fast because of these images. It is faster for me to nuke and reimage than it is to diagnose the smallest of problems. The moment my Windows XP/Vista/7/8 hick-up, the moment I notice a fraction of a second reduction in performance, I reboot into one of the other three OS on my quadruple boot and reimage the "problem" OS.

All four are as fast and as perfect as when first installed. Removing dead shortcuts will not improve performance you can "feel". Nothing is guaranteed to take away any damage done by installing a questionable program. Only the nuclear option guarantees restoration of the entire partition to its perfect state. This is why it helps to keep the OS partition somewhat small. In less time it takes you to go on a short bathroom break, your PC has not only been "cleaned" - it's been restored to brand new "out of the factory" state with your custom modifications.

I really like some of your ideas.I will put some of that to use.Thanks.As far as being anal about perfection,its all in my head.I see a broken shortcut,errors,buggy programs, ect.., I have to correct it.Its really not about performance,so to speak.Its like dust on my pc.That drives me crazy! Messy rooms,slobs,disorganization,smelly people,smoking,unless its good sh*t,ugly women,liver,and brussel sprouts.

Funny,when I was younger,none of that bothered me at all,except the last three.

Last edited:
CCleaner + a defrag has worked wonders for me on older machines in terms of performance boosting. I will admit I rarely use it now on Windows 7 era machines today. Unless it is part of a larger cleanup effort. And I have never experienced issues, but do backup the registry prior anyway.

Last edited:
CCleaner + a defrag has worked wonders for me on older machines in terms of performance boosting. I will admit I rarely use it now on Windows 7 era machines today. Unless it is part of a larger cleanup effort. And I have never experienced issues, but do backup the registry prior anyway.

You bring up a good point.I used xp for the last 10 years.I was always concerned about resources,utility progams, ect...XP had me brainwashed.I got really sick of being limited to 3.25g of ram,and being a gamer,it was a major liability.That was my motivation to switch to Win7 64 bit.I cant even run xp anymore.Win 7 compared to XP is night and day.Not just on a gaming aspect,in general.It only took me a decade to switch:)

I let Win 7 manage my resources,and keep a small page file on my main drive,then a larger amount on another drive.This is only for my platter boot drive.I do like Tune Up Utilities,but its basically bloatware.Now,I use it once on a reformat,and then uninstall.It has some cool features to turn off crap and optimize certain stuff.CCleaner,Malwarebytes,and Diskeeper (just for the spinners)will never leave my pc.

Now,if I could just remap certain keys on Far Cry 3 :cry:I would be a happy camper.Ironic,FC3 is making me cry!Friggin noobiesoft.Wheres the pride.My next project.

Last edited:
More RAM is excellent for professional graphics editing, large scale (Blu-ray) video editing, multi-tasking, but which individual game were you using which was capable of consuming more than 4 GB of RAM all by itself since most programs or games could not, many even today, and just a short time ago almost none could.

More RAM is excellent for professional graphics editing, large scale (Blu-ray) video editing, multi-tasking, but which individual game were you using which was capable of consuming more than 4 GB of RAM all by itself since most programs or games could not, many even today, and just a short time ago almost none could.

What makes me smile, is the threads that start with,I'm building a new gaming pc...Getting this motherboard,16g of ram...and the best 32g ram,..:screwy:

The "most games don't use much ram" rule of thumb will probably be obsolete within the next year or two.
The arrival of the PS4 and the NextBox will likely change the RAM-usage situation markedly, as console programmers will finally have more than 512 MB of RAM to work with.

Yes, this is why Windows 8 was my first 64-Bit OS.

Using old hardware and old programs and having full compatibility all these years on 32-Bit Windows 7 and earlier was great. The time for more RAM has come now...

Back