• Welcome to Overclockers Forums! Join us to reply in threads, receive reduced ads, and to customize your site experience!

v6 gt vs frio?

Overclockers is supported by our readers. When you click a link to make a purchase, we may earn a commission. Learn More.

KarmaWaffles

Registered
So right now I'm kinda stuck between the two, any advice? the frio is a bit better, but the v6 gt is about 10 bucks cheaper (fry's, about a 6-10 minute drive) and looks way cooler... :D

The one question I have the would let me decide is how wide teh frio is, including the fans and everything. I'm worried about my ram ( corsair vengeance, ik the v6 will overhang the first slot and not clear it, but I'm not sure if teh frio will not.) I only have 2 ram sticks so I can do 2 and 4 but the I can't upgrade in teh future unless I replace the existing ram and buy new ram.

There is about a 51.5mm distance from the center of the socket to the first dimm slot on my motherboard, the z68 extreme4 from ASrock. So if they are both going to reach teh first slot then I will go with the v6 gt, and if the frio won't reach first slot I'll get that. So does the frio reach the slot?

Also, I will be using this to cool an i5 2500k, and what kind of stable overclocks can I expect from the 2 coolers?

you can easily get higher than 4.0Ghz on either cooler and from personal experiance the frio seems to be a bot smaller as far as ram space.

Oh you know what nvm I'm going with the v6 because the measurement on the site is I think with only one fan...

yes they measure only the heatsink they don't include fan dimensions which is what usually screw people on the push/pull config

Huh now I'm wondering if any of them will reach the 2nd slot :[. there is 63mm from the center of cpu socket to the 2nd dimm slot.. do you think any of the 2 will reach it?

yes with fans they will be right next to the dimm, but the V6 has a slightly smaller heat sink that could clear your 2nd dimm slot not so sure about the other as i have never personally used it, but i have seen it and it looks drastically bigger

I own the CoolerMaster V6GT and it is a freaking massive cooler. Not quite like the V10 but still big. With two fans, it over hangs across the first DiMM slot but one could always remove this fan and just use the other one (on the other side) where it is not in the way of anything. I use short Kingston DiMMs so I can max out all 4 slots with no problem.

To be honest I think this cooler looks much cooler (no pun intended) than my other options such as Noctua and Corsair but this was really hard to attach to the system. It was my first ever cooler and from post-purchase reviews I have read it is not the easiest thing to attach in the first place, especially if your CPU cutout is not in the right place.

I would say that the V6GT is well worth the money and the sound isn't an issue for me (case fans drown out any other computer sounds, though it is still pretty damn quiet).

Let me know if you would like me to check specific things about my cooler; it only takes a few key presses or a glance under my desk.

-Klosteral

Back