• Welcome to Overclockers Forums! Join us to reply in threads, receive reduced ads, and to customize your site experience!

Vantec Nexus Temp monitor/fancontroller.

Overclockers is supported by our readers. When you click a link to make a purchase, we may earn a commission. Learn More.

Tismedt

Shadow ÒÓ's after me!!!
I just this baby in the mail from 3DCool.com. I havent hooked it up yet but had to post here. This sucker is cool. Monitors any 3 temps you want. They recommend cpu, hdd and case which is how i will set it up, though I may swich case for gpu. The 3 removable covers are tinted plastic but they look cool and are attached w/ allen head countersunk screws. The wireing for the firewire and usb 2.0 are braided steel encased in plastic and will look cool also. Looks like Vantec did thier homework on this item. It appears to be well thought out and designed for looks as well as function. I'm off to hook it up and I'll post back after some tests.

WhhaaaHoooo

Well after installing and running some benches I found that this controller is great. Setup was easy where wireing is concerned. Everything is labeled and almost fool proof. I did a major reroute of all my wireing while I was at it and spent about 3 hrs on the whole project. That includes unmounting the mobo and AX-7 so I could install the CPU probe. I decided to try the coolermaster thermal compound and so far it seems to be as good as AS3 if not better. The other 2 probes were no brainers and work fine.

No problems with my tornado fan at startup with the controller set to the lowest setting. The fan runs at 2700 - 5100. There is a bit of a delay before the fan spins up or slows down after you turn the dial. Not sure why it does that but it works. The lcd sreen is easy to read and backlit with a green lite. The probe readings are 5c lower then the onchip diode at ideal and load with the fan set at its lowest setting and 3-4c lower at the highest setting. Guess thats because of the 84cfm from the tornado cooling the probe. One thing I havent figured out is the alarm. There is no setting for it and I dont know what temp it is set at.

As of right now I am impressed with the job vantec did on this controller. I have owned a Digidoc and I find this much more useful. I also have a rheobus from pcmods and it would not start the tornado at lower setting and I almost fried my 1600 agoia. That alone makes this worth the cost which is less then the rheobus. I have to admit I think I'll keep this baby and there maybe another one for my other rig in my future.

The alarm goes off when the CPU is over 65C, or when the fan is below 1500rpm. As far as I know this can not be adjusted, and this is a fatal flaw for me since I run fans below 1500rpm.

i also saw the reviews, for $40 you cant go wrong, its damn 3 probes + 1 reo + 1 ultra cool display with fron usb/ firewire. deffinitely worth the money, im gonna grab one as soon as i can

Appartently (after speaking with vantec) 3 more faceplates will become available...

Seems kinda cheap (or expensive) that you have to buy the nexus and then the extra faceplates to have it match your system. Virtual Hideout did a review and made there own faceplate !

Tismedt said:
Well after installing and running some benches I found that this controller is great. Setup was easy where wireing is concerned. Everything is labeled and almost fool proof. I did a major reroute of all my wireing while I was at it and spent about 3 hrs on the whole project. That includes unmounting the mobo and AX-7 so I could install the CPU probe. I decided to try the coolermaster thermal compound and so far it seems to be as good as AS3 if not better. The other 2 probes were no brainers and work fine.

No problems with my tornado fan at startup with the controller set to the lowest setting. The fan runs at 2700 - 5100. There is a bit of a delay before the fan spins up or slows down after you turn the dial. Not sure why it does that but it works. The lcd sreen is easy to read and backlit with a green lite. The probe readings are 5c lower then the onchip diode at ideal and load with the fan set at its lowest setting and 3-4c lower at the highest setting. Guess thats because of the 84cfm from the tornado cooling the probe. One thing I havent figured out is the alarm. There is no setting for it and I dont know what temp it is set at.

As of right now I am impressed with the job vantec did on this controller. I have owned a Digidoc and I find this much more useful. I also have a rheobus from pcmods and it would not start the tornado at lower setting and I almost fried my 1600 agoia. That alone makes this worth the cost which is less then the rheobus. I have to admit I think I'll keep this baby and there maybe another one for my other rig in my future.

dude. you said that you have the rheobus from pcmods right? which one. is it this?
http://www.pcmods.com/details.asp?ProdID=4

so you said on the lowest setting of the bus the tornado would not start. this concerns me. i have the same bus and fan and i don't need it frying my s--t!! if i just left the control for the tornado cranked wide open it should spin as normal correct? like there was no bus right?

Back