• Welcome to Overclockers Forums! Join us to reply in threads, receive reduced ads, and to customize your site experience!

VapoChill Micro (Xtreme heat pipe?)

Overclockers is supported by our readers. When you click a link to make a purchase, we may earn a commission. Learn More.
yeha - I've seen some of these before and I'm really curious why aren't such heatsinks used more commonly. There are also flat heatipes - except for some barebones and plasma TVs, they're nowhere used.

the chambers are relatively 'recent' compared to heatpipes, which have 15 or so years more development time behind them. the flat heatpipes have been used by scythe, they're nothing amazing but you can check out the ncu-2000 and fcs-50.

vapor chamber heatsinks will probably be the last improvement in passive designs, anything more will require active (tec, fluid pumps, etc.) cooling to increase performance. one tweak of vapor chambers i've seen is having a layer of pocofoam (the thermally conductive graphite foam) inside the chamber along the bottom hotplate - it increases the rate of heat transfer to the working fluid by a sizable amount, but that foam still costs a fortune.

i'd say within 6 months there'll be a few chamber models coming out from thermalright and coolermaster, and we'll all win.

Defintately different. I like the design. It has potential. We have nearly (If not already) reached the practical size limits of a HS inside a computer case.

Since liquid conducts heat much faster then solids. I would expect to see similar designs like this in the future. As they attempt to dissapate more and more heat efficently with each new generation of processors the only avenue left to explore is to increase the diameter of your heatpipes, or switch to a more extreme cooling method.

This idea is much more mainstream. Since most people with the mere mention of water cooling a PC tend to think it similar to blow drying your hair while taking a bath.

Such things could be even used instead of todays "copper plates" - for tecs, or... Let's look at XP-120 - Distant heatpipes probably don't work too effectively. If they used such thing as you posted for base instead of copper, that would work much better I think. Using heatpipes with common base as in VapoChill cooler would be probably even better.

Anyway it's good to see some advance in cooling. I think that we may see such cooling techniques in BTX coolers and maybe Dual core rads, but when? That 6 months estimation is pretty optimistic, but that would be pretty cool, literally.

My other guess (in some previous post) was that it's hardly possible to chill 200W CPU without using some "new methods" - we'll see.

trance said:
lol, wut kina liquid they use? cuz it cant be water, cuz it wont be hot enuff to evap hopefuly, looks kina iffy

the boiling point of water is porportional to the pressure, ie lower the pressure lower the boiling point

morgan owen at frozencpu sent me this email in reply to a question I had.
sorry about the fuzziness tho...

Attachments

• comp6.JPG
    comp6.JPG
    32.6 KB · Views: 224
Last edited:
subtotal said:
hey, if it's no good you can use it as a hood ornament

LOL!

What brand of car is that saah?

Oh, it's a Honda.

Then what is that aaaatrocious hood ornamant you have there?

Dat be my microchill that didn't cool wath crap yo!

-Sam

I'd like to see this idea taken further to immitate a water cooling setup. In a WC rig you have a cpu block which is optimised to transfer heat from the cpu to the water flowing through it. Tubes take the pumped water through a radiator.

So instead of water, lets have vapour fluid. Instead of tubes we have heatpipes between cpu block and heatsink (radiator). The cpu block is the key. It would have to have a carefully designed chamber that would transfer heat well and interwork with the attached heatpipes.

Dexx said:
I'd like to see this idea taken further to immitate a water cooling setup. In a WC rig you have a cpu block which is optimised to transfer heat from the cpu to the water flowing through it. Tubes take the pumped water through a radiator.

So instead of water, lets have vapour fluid. Instead of tubes we have heatpipes between cpu block and heatsink (radiator). The cpu block is the key. It would have to have a carefully designed chamber that would transfer heat well and interwork with the attached heatpipes.

That's interesting. You could get additional energy removal during whole vapour process. Problem might appear, when you think about pressure in heatpipes...

Looks like a good design to me, I wonder what the weight is. Have they released a release date?

Back