• Welcome to Overclockers Forums! Join us to reply in threads, receive reduced ads, and to customize your site experience!

Vega Frontier Edition 16gb HBM2 (Flashed LC bios)

Overclockers is supported by our readers. When you click a link to make a purchase, we may earn a commission. Learn More.

ITAngel

Hi everyone, I been gone for a while from the forum and that is because I been very busy with work, holiday/family stuff and working on my workstation system. Recently I updated my GPU to the Vega Frontier Edition 16gb HBM2 (Flashed LC bios). Is lightly overclocked doing great with cooling and performance. It works perfect for my needs such as gaming, video editing, and such. One of the things I did was removed the cooler to put that baby under water. :attn: What you guys think? This is by far the most high end system I have ever own and graphic card. Now I could had gotten a GTX 1080Ti but nah,... AMD GPU get better over time like fine wine. :D

900x900px-LL-403a3179_20180113_090555.jpeg

-SYSTEM-
CPU: AMD Threadripper 1920X
RAM: Corsair Vengeance RGB 3000Mhz 32GB 4x8
MOBO: ASRock Fatal1ty X399 Professional Gaming
VIDEO: Vega Frontier Edition 16gb HBM2 (Flashed LC bios)
CASE: Phanteks Enthoo EVOLV
HDD: 3TB Seagate
SSD: SAMSUNG 850 EVO 2.5" 500GB SATA III 3-D Vertical
PSU: Seasonic FOCUS Plus Series SSR-850FX 850W

-COOLER-:
EK-Supremacy EVO Threadripper Edition
EK-XRES 100 Revo D5 PWM
EK-CoolStream PE 360 (Triple) (Front of case)
EK-CoolStream PE 240mm (Double) (Top of case)
EK-FC Radeon Vega (Acrylic)
EK-Tube ZMT Matte Black
EK-FITTINGS

FLOW METER: Glowry 2 Way Flow Meter Indicator

-FANS-
FANS on Rad 360mm: EKWB EK-Vardar F4-120ER (2200RPM)
FANS on Rad 240mm: HD120 RGB LED High Performance 120mm PWM Fan
CASE FAN Rear: HD120 RGB LED High Performance 120mm PWM Fan

The only reason that I have step away from AMD this production cycle are:
I felt that the (Polaris) RX-480\RX-580 was just another refresh of the 7970\280x\380x. They added a few refinements and 300 extra shaders.
I felt that the (Vega) RX-64\RX-54 was not ENOUGH of a step up from the Fury series. They should have had at-least 6144 shaders as the last series also had 4096 shaders. Nvidia improved theirs from the 1080ti to the Titan V.
To me, this time around. AMD had the opportunity (14nm from 28nm) to be innovative, instead they refresh last gen products.
Maybe in April we will see a Vega Version 2 that pushes the limits. The new CPU that has more PCIe lanes for multiple graphics.

The only reason that I have step away from AMD this production cycle are:
I felt that the (Polaris) RX-480\RX-580 was just another refresh of the 7970\280x\380x. They added a few refinements and 300 extra shaders.
I felt that the (Vega) RX-64\RX-54 was not ENOUGH of a step up from the Fury series. They should have had at-least 6144 shaders as the last series also had 4096 shaders. Nvidia improved theirs from the 1080ti to the Titan V.
To me, this time around. AMD had the opportunity (14nm from 28nm) to be innovative, instead they refresh last gen products.
Maybe in April we will see a Vega Version 2 that pushes the limits. The new CPU that has more PCIe lanes for multiple graphics.

Yea true, I mean for me I felt the Vega was for sure an upgrade over the GTX 1070 and specially when I have to power 2 Freesync monitors. ;) Then getting the Vega FE with 16GB will be nice for my creative side of things aside from gaming. I will hold on to this setup for a good while. :rock:

Nice system how did the TR clock they claim that they are the best binded chips they sell .

Where are the benches =)
Cinebench for sure

Nice system how did the TR clock they claim that they are the best binded chips they sell .

Where are the benches =)
Cinebench for sure

Oh I have not done many bench test with it but I did do a memory increased and this is what I got out of it.

Vega-FE-LCbios-Pro-Gaming-2-OC1200-2.gif

And

VegaFE-LC-OC.jpg

Note, that I notice on the 17.12.2 Professional drivers I have a huge boost in FPS on my games more than the gaming driver one except I can't modified the card using Wattman.

I will download and run cinebench when I get home tonight.

Upgrade to the latest drivers. I'd be curious what the improvements on it would be with just that alone since there has been improvements already.

I was nearly on board with the Vega launch but cards not being there and 1080ti just ripe for the taking I jumped over to the dark side :) Still got my old card, R9 290, and its still a beast, just a huge power sucker :)

Where did you located the Frontier Liquid BIOS? I've been looking to flash my card and cannot find the file. Thanks.

Where did you located the Frontier Liquid BIOS? I've been looking to flash my card and cannot find the file. Thanks.

I had someone give it to me before, I don't recall from where. lol But I will add it here for you.

Attachments

• Liquid UBER bios for vega FE.zip
    135.2 KB · Views: 269
Last edited:

Hi actually I found out those were modified LC bios I finally got my hands on the actual bios that are LC version oem. If you still need them let me know and I will up load them.

new bios ran my GPU to 1700mhz core with 1075mhz hbm2 LOL. My friend did the test https://www.3dmark.com/fs/15123491

Note I updated the bios listed here on this post to the correct bios. ENJOY!

Last edited:
Hi actually I found out those were modified LC bios I finally got my hands on the actual bios that are LC version oem. If you still need them let me know and I will up load them.

new bios ran my GPU to 1700mhz core with 1075mhz hbm2 LOL. My friend did the test https://www.3dmark.com/fs/15123491

Note I updated the bios listed here on this post to the correct bios. ENJOY!

@ITAngel, when you say "new bios" and then 1700/1075, is that the Liquid Uber attached in post #9 or the actual LC oem? I'm looking to flash an FE 16GB air-cooled with an aftermarket waterblock. :screwy:

@ITAngel, when you say "new bios" and then 1700/1075, is that the Liquid Uber attached in post #9 or the actual LC oem? I'm looking to flash an FE 16GB air-cooled with an aftermarket waterblock. :screwy:

Should be the one attached there. I believe someone added to one of the site but was taken down. Hope fully your card can run those OC levels. :attn:

I had someone give it to me before, I don't recall from where. lol But I will add it here for you.

Hi there sorry to bump an old thread, but is there a way to get the "Performance" mode VBIOS for the Vega FE LC? It seems that this was the "Standard" mode VBIOS (Vega has dual VBIOS, when switched toward the rear ports, it is in Performance mode).

I ask because it seems even though this VBIOS allowed board power to go above the Vega FE Air Cooled edition, the boost clock speed is actually lower than the Air Cooled edition by stock.

I'm confused, Userbenchmark tells me that the Vega Frontier is supposed to be ~20% faster then my old 980ti (yes i'm taking this with a shovel of salt) but my Heaven score on air is much higher then OP... is there an issue with it ? because OP said that it feels like an improvement over he's 1070, was that speed-wise or just because it's easier to hook up several monitors ?

View attachment 204159

I'm confused, Userbenchmark tells me that the Vega Frontier is supposed to be ~20% faster then my old 980ti (yes i'm taking this with a shovel of salt) but my Heaven score on air is much higher then OP... is there an issue with it ? because OP said that it feels like an improvement over he's 1070, was that speed-wise or just because it's easier to hook up several monitors ?

View attachment 204159

Compare your 3DMark with this, I was not pushing this card on the Threadripper but I did pushed it on the Intel. I just don't have screenshot to compare it to yours.

https://www.3dmark.com/fs/15123491

Back