• Welcome to Overclockers Forums! Join us to reply in threads, receive reduced ads, and to customize your site experience!

Ventilation/cooling question

Overclockers is supported by our readers. When you click a link to make a purchase, we may earn a commission. Learn More.

rommie

I have an antec case with front and rear fan (unsure what model) and recently I found that I had the side panel with ventilation holes on the wrong, motherboard chassis side. I swapped them over and found it was a lot noisier that way. I've swapped them back, and I'll just note that while the holes are over the cpu heatsink, there's no room for fans or anything on the inside of the case. Is having no ventilation there a big no-no?

Most cases do not have dedicated ventilation behind the motherboard. Newer cases have an opening in the motherboard tray, but it is supposed to be to ease the changing of coolers, not ventilation.

That said, having ventilation on back of motherboard usually does lower motherboard component temps.

Most cases do not have dedicated ventilation behind the motherboard. Newer cases have an opening in the motherboard tray, but it is supposed to be to ease the changing of coolers, not ventilation.

That said, having ventilation on back of motherboard usually does lower motherboard component temps.

What I'm asking is if it makes a big difference having it in its' default, over cpu heatsink position.

What I'm asking is if it makes a big difference having it in its' default, over cpu heatsink position.

No, it makes little or no difference which side of case you have it on. Of course if it has a fan on it there may be a difference, but even then that difference be negative rather than positive.

Whether it makes a large difference or not largely depends on what components are being cooled.

Can you list the system components please?

Each case will be unique in its cooling properties. I personally do not believe it will make much of a difference regardless of its location unless there is a fan on it. And even then, it depends.

The best way to get the answer is to test it yourself and see.

But I believe it will not make much of a difference.

@ ATM - What makes you think the components will make a difference? I am not getting that association?

@ ATM - What makes you think the components will make a difference? I am not getting that association?

We've seen large differences in socket temps for overclocked FX systems in the past by adding a fan behind the socket.
With Intel equipment, it makes almost zero difference.

We've seen large differences in socket temps for overclocked FX systems in the past by adding a fan behind the socket.
With Intel equipment, it makes almost zero difference.
Ahh, ok. Gotcha. I believe though he admitted the underlying point already by saying that with a fan used, it will make a difference. It is true that with Intel you do not need it but with AMD and overclocking, chances are you will. :)

EDIT: Cleaned up the mess... again.. this is getting OLD this bitching and bickering across 2 threads now. Its going to stop...

Posting what all is in one's system when asking question about anything in it is always a good idea. :thup:

Having an open fan vent on one side or the other without a fan mounted will make little to no difference in internal case temps so long as there is adequate case ventilation. If it's noisy on one side than leave it on the other. A great way to test if your case is venting properly is to run a stress test like prime95(free) for 20mins or so to build up temps in the case. Test the internal temps with a temp probe. Now take the side cover off and run the same test and test the case temp. If you're +/- 2c your case is venting just fine. If not then we can consider how to improve it. We have ways......

Back