• Welcome to Overclockers Forums! Join us to reply in threads, receive reduced ads, and to customize your site experience!

Very happy with my Vantec Aeroflow

Overclockers is supported by our readers. When you click a link to make a purchase, we may earn a commission. Learn More.

Captain Hilts

I just picked one of these up the other day for my 1700+ Tbred B. Previously, my temps with my Volcano 9 were around 38C idle, 46C full load when at 2.08GHz with 1.85 vcore. The internal diode temps were around 60C full load.

With my Aeroflow, the surface temps dropped to 35C idle and 41C full load. The internal diode though, dropped all the way to 48C full load (not sure why, but with the Aeroflow the internal diode temps were closer to the surface temps then with the Volcano 9). This is a 12C drop in internal diode temp at full load, which is the temp that matters in the end.

Not only that, but those Volcano 9 temps were taken with the fan at full speed (5400 RPM). At that speed, the noise is unbearable, so I usually ran the fan at around 3500RPM, which means that temps rise about 3 - 5C.

Well the Aeroflow doesn't have a variable speed fan, but it only about as loud as the Volcano 9 fan at 3500RPM anyway. This means that at the same noise level I get more than a 15C drop in internal diode temps at full load. The drop in temps allowed me to run the cpu at 2.17GHz at 1.9v now, and at a much lower temp (I needed 1.95v to do 2.17GHz before, and the internal diode temps at full load were approaching 70C).

The most impressive thing for me was the price. The Aeroflow only cost me $4 more than what the Volcano 9 was. I'm not sure what the usual prices are, but I picked up the Aeroflow for $37 CAD (it was on sale from $41 though so I'm not sure if this is the normal price). I don't think anything can touch the Aeroflow in terms of noise/performance at this price level.

I have one as well and I've been very happy with it. If your temps are good enough that you want to slow the fan down, try Speedfan or buy a Zalman fanmate for $5. I have done both and they worked well for me. I just ordered the new Zalman 7000-Cu yesterday and I'm hoping it will be the last step to a truly silent machine. But, I'd still recommend the Aeroflow to anyone that asked. You just can't beat it for $25.

Thanks for the suggestions, right now I find the noise level very tolerable though. I've got a 120mm fan mounted externally on the side of my case, so the Aeroflow doesn't really make much of a difference in terms of overall noise of the rig.

Actually, looking back at the heatsink reviews on the overclockers.com front page, the Vantec Aeroflow looks even better. No heatsink, not even the SLK900, can perform at the same level with a noise level that low. The other heatsinks only beat the Aeroflow with much louder fans.

I like the Aeroflow as well. The concept of the TMD fan is perfect for the design of the heatsink. It doesn't look half-bad either.

Back