• Welcome to Overclockers Forums! Join us to reply in threads, receive reduced ads, and to customize your site experience!

Very high fan RPMs?

Overclockers is supported by our readers. When you click a link to make a purchase, we may earn a commission. Learn More.

Jkasmann

Registered
I have a swiftech mcx-4000 with the TMD fan, and ever since I installed it it has reported way high RPMs (~12000) in both the bios and winbond, the abit hardware monitor program. It is definetly not spinning that fast. So for a while i didnt worry about it, but now that everyone says there are problems with the TMD fans having poor speed control Id like to be able to monitor its actual rpm value (and decide if I should replace it or not...). Anyone know whats going on or how to fix it?

From what little I have read about those fans, I would be VERY careful! It would be a shame to lose the cpu because the fan died and you were out of the room.

I would seriously suggest rmaing the fan and putting something else on there for now- hopefully they will send a fan that does not die suddenly and soon when they replace it.

And don't leave the room while the rig is running.

Could be that your board is abit buggy and reporting false RPM readings, try asking in the Intel Abit Mobo Section.

As I heard what dugans heard, the TMD fans have been dying for no reason and they have been discontinued and not being shipped with current MCX4000's.

I think you should just buy a Tt Smart Fan II from heatsinkfactory which comes with an adjusted control which controls rpm/cfm of the fan.

RMAing may not be worth it because you have to ship to them ($$$) and they will have to find a way to fix the problem (Time).

Don't know what they can do except perhaps give you a cash refund for the fan, best to contact them and find out.

Do not depend on that throttling to save the chip, order a fan IMMEDIATLY.

Does it sound like it's spinning up fast?

Can you plug another fan in for comparison (for the sake of seeing how its speed is being read?)

Also, here's a neat trick -- if you view one fan through the rotating blades of another, and if the speeds are close, the blades of the fan will appear to stand still or move slowly forwards or backwards. (I can see this with my blowhole above the HSF, if I adjust my fanbus just right.) You could also use this to compare the speed to a known speed.

I'd definitely RMA it. These fans are known to have technical problems. Too bad, as they seemed so promising!!

Good luck -- Paul

Right now I would be leary of Tt fans also. I just read 2 seperate threads about fan blades breaking off...... Go with a good name brand and like roger said dont leave it on while you are away.

Hmm, interesting. If it helps, I've had 2 Tt fans (original 60mm and this 80mm), and both have served rather nicely. -- Paul

Back