• Welcome to Overclockers Forums! Join us to reply in threads, receive reduced ads, and to customize your site experience!

Vga to DVI adapter

Overclockers is supported by our readers. When you click a link to make a purchase, we may earn a commission. Learn More.

demien88

I have simple question. Due the fact that my 960 dose not have vga port on its own I had to use DVI adapter also my screen is some generic AOC with max 1366x768 resolution without HDMI cable attached to it. Now the thing is that bothers me, are there any disadvantages when using such adapters, screen response time and similar maybe even screen tearing in some games? All I know that HDMI is newer technology and it should be better than any DVI or VGA. Could you please write your own opinions here experiences if gone from one to another... Ignore the difference in resolution from 720 to 1080 due the fact that 1080 clearly looks way better on many screens.

I'm using a budget HDMI to VGA adapter from a notebook to a monitor. The notebook is 1366x768 or some such and the monitor is 1080p and it works great. Obviously no gaming, but no problems with either resolution so far. Video and cursor motion is smooth as can be.

Thats whole other story far as I know. Long as laptop uses its native resolution it should be fine, I saw few times laptops would just spaz out screen would flicker and what not but hardware was alright. I never find out what was the problem probably something to do with cable itself or OS. Gaming and other video heavy tasks is what bothers me...

demien88, the output to the monitor. Does it need to be VGA or DVI? In post #1 you mention a "VGA to HDMI DVI" adapter. I think you meant to say "DVI to VGA." I don't think VGA to DVI is possible with a simple adapter. You can get VGA to DVI on ebay but when I've tried them they don't work. You can't go from lesser to greater signal but you can go from greater to lesser.

Last edited:
I have VGA interface on monitor.... GPU dosnt have it so I used DVI adapter that is FROM VGA to DVI... And no its isnt upgrade to DVI there are no benefits of DVI trough adapters or HDMI in same way it will still stay VGA analog in my case. There are so many those damn adapters that people are getting confused

I think (now there's a risk) you can go from DVI-X to VGA without issue, but DVI-D to VGA requires further processing at the display end of the chain. I think.

I think you need dual DVI thingy to use second port but I am not so sure since I never seen it anywhere used like that. That second wont work stand alone, I think plus I have never seen adapter for it only for "x" the one I have.

The same monitor I'm using HDMI>VGA now wouldn't show anything when I tried a DVI>VGA on the DVI-D port on my GTX 1070. It showed up in the Nvidia control panel but I couldn't get any picture on it. It works fine on another DVI monitor, so the problem wasn't the GPU's DVI-D port. (Currently HDMI and DVI-D working dual display)

What I'm saying is I don't think you can go the other direction. I don't think you can go from VGA GPU output to DVI monitor input which would be VGA to DMI and require a "VGA to DVI adapter" (Demien88's words from subject line post #1). What Demien88 actually wants to do it seems from his elaboration in post #1 is to go from DVI GPU output to VGA monitor input which should work fine. I think he just expressed it backwards in his subject line.

Back