• Welcome to Overclockers Forums! Join us to reply in threads, receive reduced ads, and to customize your site experience!

Viability of Transmission cooler as radiator.

Overclockers is supported by our readers. When you click a link to make a purchase, we may earn a commission. Learn More.

Iormungand

I am planning out a custom case build, and while looking into a open loop cooling system for it, while brainstorming with a friend of mine, we came up with the idea of trying to use a transmission cooler as the radiator for the case.

Something like this for example

http://www.jegs.com/i/JEGS-Performance-Products/555/60373/10002/-1?parentProductId=1032939

This model, and most models just use normal sized barbed fittings for tubing, this one being 3/8 inch ID.

I have pretty limited experience with open looped cooling systems, but can someone with more experience weigh in as to whether this would be viable? Or if there would be any issues with it. My plan would be to get a rather large one and have either a 200mm on each side, or an array of 2x2 120mm fans depending on the size of the radiator.

If they would be viable, other than having to create your own mounting system, a lot of them would appear to be a pretty good value for PC water cooling.

no, those are a joke, IF and it's a BIG IF, you try a car cooler try at least an earls supply oil cooler.
they cost horrid, they come in one width but height is your choice, they have bsp threads and will not work for you at all, trans or power steering coolers only add capacity.

Thank you for the prompt and informative info guys. As I don't have a lot of experience with WC systems.

Welcome to OCFs.

If you're really interested in water cooling I would take the much needed time researching and reading lots.

Also will this be a low cost loop or budget wouldn't be an issue? If on a budget, you could get a CPU only loop for around $150-$200 and less than $100 if you buy used parts from others.

Let us know which way you're going with this.

I dont see why that oil cooler wont work, but i see no reason why you would even bother, when the market is stuffed with coolers made for the job.

My cousin and I were brainstorming about this before too. He worked at a car parts store at the time, I work in a body shop, and he mentioned he could get a really cheap transmission cooler I could use as a rad. I figured I'd buy a waterblock, and use some kinda car cooler for a radiator, and then I just had to figure out a pump. I even grabbed a windshield washer fluid pump from a salvage part that came in that we didn't need. :rofl:

Well, I didn't have to research long before I found out a transmission cooler wouldn't work very good at all. Something about the channels being too large that the water would just rush through without really cooling it. Even a car radiator isn't the greatest, but an A/C condenser might work. They are generally smaller than car radiators and have very tight channels for the water to pass through - but by the time you get one adapted and working for water cooling you may as well have bought the right radiator for the job anyway. So, we scrapped the homemade custom loop idea within a week. It was fun to think about though.

and its just CHEAPER to buy the cooling parts made for the job.
an oil cooler from a car will never work, that oil is around 240f-300f and the cooler is made to have massive airflow through it with a fluid flow starting at 5-6 gallons a minute to 15-18 gallons a minute.

He could broker the classified purchase through a third party who had access.

He could broker the classified purchase through a third party who had access.
Thats up to you (I don't think it's against the rules) but you are putting yourself at risk of getting ripped off by doing so.

Not saying that thus guy will.. but you are opening yourself to that possibility in a big way.
and its just CHEAPER to buy the cooling parts made for the job.
an oil cooler from a car will never work, that oil is around 240f-300f and the cooler is made to have massive airflow through it with a fluid flow starting at 5-6 gallons a minute to 15-18 gallons a minute.
Its been done before... ;)

Well, tranny ones at least and I swear oil coolers too.Also flow rates will differ due to the heat capacity/efficiency of the medium used. ;)

I'm talking about fluid flow, the serck speed units are the best on the market.
the best full ghettoed car conversion was a car heater, the whole hvac module, was used with the water pumped through the heater core.

Me too. Remember that oil is way more viscous than water.

I'd Google examples for you, but I'm mobile. It's been done. I've seen heater cores, tranny rads... Etc. It may need a wall plug eheim pump, but, it's Def. been done!

That said, I wholeheartedly agree with buying something made for this application. :)

Last edited:
it just costs less in the long run, but i do like to see a good ghetto rig work!!!!

automotive:
heater cores or motorcycle rads : they come in sizes close to 120.x or 140.x and some of them even come with usable fittings... but they are rarely advertised in a way to allow searching on these features. they tend to be listed by Brand/Make/Model/Year... ya know, Acura '99, oldsmobile, Suzuki Liana '04,....

A/C condensers tend to be too restrictive, both in channels and fpi, but if you dont mind using some "ooompfh" pump & loud fans, they can work

Car & truck rads are an "extreme" option :D due to size & required fittings, they tend to be cumbersome... but when using a Mack, Kenworth or Volvo truck rad, you can run them passive; and if you want near ambient temps, bolt a couple of box fans to it :)

It all has been done before, if you cant find some examples here, then XS or ProCooling will have some examples :)

Back