• Welcome to Overclockers Forums! Join us to reply in threads, receive reduced ads, and to customize your site experience!

Vibration when "loop" heats up

Overclockers is supported by our readers. When you click a link to make a purchase, we may earn a commission. Learn More.

The Wicker Man

Ok, so I have a Thor V2 case, Ryzen 1700x, Crosshair VI Hero, and a XFX Vega 64, on the CPU I have an Eisbaer 280, and a Eiswolf 120 on the Vega connected together, GPU runs at 1653 HBM 1020, load temps top out around mid to high 40's.
Nothing fancy, but gets the job done...heh

When ideling all is good, cpu is 25°C GPU is 23°C, under load say GTA 5, GPU goes to mid to high 40's the water heats up, and the fans start to vibrate which resonates through the entire case,
I can press on the back, top, side and it quiets, let it go and it starts to resonate again, if I touch the fan hub it stops, let it go and in a little bit it starts up again, shut down the game or bench app and once the rads cool down the vibration goes away.
I am using the fans that came with it, going to get some new ones, but for right now, any Ideas why it would vibrate like that???

The 280 rad is mounted to the top and the fans are pulling through from the outside, the 120 is mounted to the back, with fans in a push/pull venting out the back...

Decouple your fans with anti-vibration mounting or replace the fans completely.
Pretty much your only options.

Decouple your fans with anti-vibration mounting or replace the fans completely.
Pretty much your only options.

This. Anything that moves can cause resonance, including the water pump and any HHD you may have. The worst part about case resonance is that when you quiet one part down, you'll probably find something else that needs quieting. Decoupling parts is your cheapest route, as all you need to do is suspend the part with string, a rubber band, twist tie, whatever, to see if it eliminates the resonance. Then you can get fancy with purpose built decoupling mounts, but imo, DIY is the better way. I've found that many decoupling mounts (especially HHD mounts) do little to no decoupling at all.

Thanks for the info guys, I am gonna snag a couple NF-A14 PWM fans, unless there are better ones for pulling air through a radiator...

this, but...

Did you try a different rpm?

No I didnt, I have them pegged, there pretty quiet, Ill slow them down and see what happens...

- - - Updated - - -

I also use very small viton O-rings, available at any hardware store, where I mount fans. They're cheap and abundant.

I might head to Ace tomorrow, I think there open, and see what they have for little O-rings

O-Rings usually aren't enough if you're using a solid mounting method to mount your fans (the type of screws which cut into the mounting holes on the fan itself).

Back