• Welcome to Overclockers Forums! Join us to reply in threads, receive reduced ads, and to customize your site experience!

Video card (4870) temps too high?

Overclockers is supported by our readers. When you click a link to make a purchase, we may earn a commission. Learn More.

Adaman

Was going to RMA my video card (SAPPHIRE Radeon HD 4870 1GB) today but I don't know if it'll do any good or not. The card ran perfectly fine for about a month and then a few days ago artifacts started showing up everywhere. I've been doing some testing the past couple days and noticed the (MEMIO) temp gets to about 90c after only a couple mins. That seem normal? My system is pretty well cooled. I don't know what to think though...had a lot of computer troubles lately so I'm trying not to think about it too much :bang head

atitool.jpg

If I just get the card replaced...would I likely just have the same problems? I can play games for a long time without any artifacts showing up...they usually only show up after 2 hours or so, and temps will look the same while I'm seeing the artifacts, they never get much higher than what is showed in the screenshot above.

If you have the stock cooler on it, then I would definitely increase the fan speed and go from there. Also make sure that the heatsink is firmly attached. I have heard of a few cards that were shipped like that. I used to get similar speeds like that with my old 1900XT, but my 4870 never hit temps like that. Now I have it under water so the fan is not an issue. :beer:

Surely 58% fan speed should be able to handle that card fine, they seem to run too hot IMO. My GTX295 doesn't even get that hot with 60% fan speed @ oc in sig.

Alrighty, I'll make sure the heatsink it mounted correctly and increase the fan speed if I can figure out how. Can't seem to change it in the bios, atitool, or speedfan. Where the heck do I change the fan speed for the video card? I wouldn't mind it if it ran at 100% speed all the time.

73c under load is fine for that gpu.

Thanks for the info...kinda good news and bad news. Glad the temps are considered OK but then that means the artifacts shouldn't be showing up and I'll have to RMA the card afterall.

If the temps were much too high on the other hand, then I could be almost sure that it was the heat causing the graphical errors and not specifically the card itself.

I still think it's caused by heat, but it probably shouldn't be showing artifacts at those temps.

ps...still wondering how to max out the fan speed :x

if there are artifacts with stock speeds on stock cooling, definitely RMA the card. Those memo temps are normal as well. The won't get that high gaming, but with ati tool, or especially Furmark, they can soar well above 110c...which isn't a great thing.

Anyone know how to raise the fan speed to 100%? Is it a bad idea to run it at 100% full speed all the time or just a personal preference?

I figured out how to change my fan speed but it's quite loud on 100%...probably shouldn't let it go 100% all the time :p - Aside from the noise though, would running 100% be a bad idea?

Last edited:
I figured out how to change my fan speed but it's quite loud on 100%...probably shouldn't let it go 100% all the time :p - Aside from the noise though, would running 100% be a bad idea?

i have a 4850 and run the fan at 100% 24/7 and so far its fine

It sounds like a leaf blower though...seems like it might be stressful on the card to product 100% fan speed 24/7.

Running the fan at a 100% shouldn't stress the card since its designed to work at said speed, but as well its going too be rather loud at that speed.

I would highly recommend repasting the heatsink on the card if your worried about temps. I just repasted mine a few days ago and mine doesn't seem to be able to get over 70C w/ 45% fan speed even at full load. I wish I had done more tests before I repasted just to show a true difference but so far I've been really impressed. Its nice not having to deal with that fan at anything over 50%...

repasting is a good idea, just remember to properly remove the old paste.

actually those temps are like what i had on my his 4870, 75C @ 42% load.
ya those temps are okay but i would be worried about the artifacts esp since you're not OCing.

damn 89C, not sure how normal that is, i only remember my shader and core temps.
i recommend replacing the heatsink and add better heatsinks on the memory. i'm pointing towards that as the reason you're getting artifacts.

Seems some of these cards do run hot. But for a GPU to hit 100C isnt that big of a deal. They are not like CPUs. I dont like to run my card that hot but I had another card that at times would get as high as 90c. Again, though it never showed any artifacts ever it did run hot. My 4870 would hit about 80C until I manually set the fan speed. Now i never see temps over about 60-65C. The temps are no biggie but the artifacts indicate an issue.

Z

i have the 4870 1gb sapphire too

also running hot at 90c at 100% load
thats with standard default ramping of fan
ending at about 90% spin at 100%

this was as shiped

i pulled the sink off(which i thought looked fairly robust)
and re-tim'ed it with as5
and droped it to about 85degrees at full

also got artifacts while overclocking past 800/1000
but after dropping to stock and a reboot
arti's gone but still running hot

iam considering a new sink as well

if ure artifacting at stock settings
and a re paste dosent help
rma time

just went ahead and tested again today
new data looks better
maybe its a bit cooler today or and the tim has settled

ambient 75f ...

80-81c at 99% load with fan default rampin up to 70-72%

56-57c at 0% load with fan default ramping down to 28-30%

this is with the fan shroud off
with it on the temps are a few degrees better

with a 80mm fan pointed at the HS fins
temps improve 5 or so degrees c

Last edited:
geez shaz sounds like you've either have no airflow in your case or you'e got a bad chip. it is the stock heatsink right?

as to the temps i'd agree that the only real affect on the card is the artifacting which i guess you could say is a big deal if you want to run your card oc'd. I usually try to stick with the <85C that AMD/Intel recommend their chips to run at when it comes to pc components.

Back