• Welcome to Overclockers Forums! Join us to reply in threads, receive reduced ads, and to customize your site experience!

Video cards are sold out everywhere!

Overclockers is supported by our readers. When you click a link to make a purchase, we may earn a commission. Learn More.

King107s

I was looking at possibly upgrading my cards and found that all of a sudden most of the cards I was interested in were sold out or the price had gone up considerably! :shock:

I can only assume this is has something to do with a renewal of interest in bitcoin mining after recent news of increased value in the currency. Can anyone confirm?

Yeah, assuming you were looking at AMD GPUs, people started jumping on mining alt coins again due to the rise in value of btc and a few others.

Was looking to replace my CF 7970's with something nice... maybe a pair of RX 580's (i know its overkill for most situations). Could be tempted to go to Nvidia but have been a fan of ATI for a long time in the price for performance aspect.

That presently leaves three (better) options. #1) GTX 1070, which will handle just about all of what two RX 580s will, #2) GTX 1080, or #3) Wait for Vega. Those three avoid the hassles (and diminishing support) of multi GPUs. For 2k and up, 1080 Ti and Titan Xp would be the top tier for now.

I had not previously considered Nvidia but the GTX 1080 has some impressive benchmarks for the money. Currently, I game on an Asus 144Hz 1080p LED monitor and i know only a few games start to top 3GB video ram usage at 1080p but i might go 1440p or 4k at some point in the future which then further justifies the upgrade in my mind. A bit of apprehension (aside from dropping down a wad of money) was the fact that at the lower resolution the dual 7970's still max out almost everything with decent frame rate and the faster cards only really start pulling away by large margins at the higher resolutions.

Any reason I shouldn't just go order a GTX 1080? With the recent uptick in bitcoin mining i might even be able to get a little money back for the 7970's (I still see them going for $85 ish which is not bad considering the age).

Normally I would say a 1070 is more than enough for 1080p, but the 144Hz refresh rate seems to benefit from the 1080's extra horsepower. If it's in your budget I would say go for it.

I pulled the trigger and got the Gigabyte Geforce GTX 1080 AORUS Xtreme! I'm sure I'll be happy with it.

Has anyone been following the ebay auctions for AMD cards? Used 480's and 580's going for way over retail.

7950's going for 150.00 US?

7950.JPG

If you own an AMD card, now is the time to part with it.

Can get £120 for my r9 280 on eBay. Just coming at the wrong time for me. Looking to upgrade in a few months and that little bit of money would help a lot.

I could run my 1070 (with a wicked OC) and my reference 480 and make some money at current rates.
If you want quick money then sell your card. Current prices made me curious as well, and research over the past few weeks shows it to be a long term hobby, not a quick money maker. Keep in mind, im not saying "dont mine" but I am saying "dont quit your day job" :)

I'm OK with having sold my 390 recently due to mining. I wasn't going to but the bidding prices kept going up and up and I figured better to cash out now.

Switching to Nvidia for the first time ever was surprisingly easy as Afterburner still worked fine, and other than running display driver uninstaller I didn't have to do anything special.

If you want quick money then sell your card. Current prices made me curious as well, and research over the past few weeks shows it to be a long term hobby, not a quick money maker. Keep in mind, im not saying "dont mine" but I am saying "dont quit your day job" :)

Yeah, I was just looking at the rig generating a few bucks here and there. With oil prices where they are the energy costs could keep mining profitable for a while. My day job consists of sitting on the couch, so I'm good there. LOL

Back