• Welcome to Overclockers Forums! Join us to reply in threads, receive reduced ads, and to customize your site experience!

video conversion

Overclockers is supported by our readers. When you click a link to make a purchase, we may earn a commission. Learn More.

Rigit

My son bought me an Apple TV as a gift. Before I can use it I have to convert all of my video to M4V. I can't find a program to do that. I would prefer a freeware but will consider something else if that's all there is. I was told handbrake would do it but all I could get it to offer is MP4 and MKV. Ideally I'd prefer a windows product rather than the proprietary Apple TV. I can take it back but I'd rather make it work if possible.

Try Aimersoft
I don't have any experience with it but there's a free trial version and a $60 version with a 90 day money back gaurantee.

Otherwise, the Apple TV is a great product if you are a MAC user but it's no Home Theater PC.

Handbrake is going to be your best option, mainly because it is free. The extension is simply cosmetic in this case and you can change it. Source: https://trac.handbrake.fr/wiki/Containers

MP4 vs M4v

They are the exact same file, the only difference is the extension. MP4 vs M4v.

For MP4 files, HandBrake will automatically use the extension M4V when you pass-through audio (AC3), use SRT subtitles or have chapter markers enabled.

You can simply change the file extension between .mp4 and .m4v as the file is exactly the same. There are no differences in the content or container itself.

You can disable the option to automatically set this in HandBrakes preferences.

Try Aimersoft
I don't have any experience with it but there's a free trial version and a $60 version with a 90 day money back gaurantee.

Otherwise, the Apple TV is a great product if you are a MAC user but it's no Home Theater PC.

No I'm not a Mac user I'm quite frankly anti-Apple. Their business model is in my opinion a scam. I also like the freedom of doing what I want with my dully purchased hardware. In Apples case you can do/have only what they want you to have and you'll pay a premium for it. Well that's the nicest way I can say it. All I own are PC's and Android phones.

Handbrake is going to be your best option, mainly because it is free. The extension is simply cosmetic in this case and you can change it. Source: https://trac.handbrake.fr/wiki/Containers

Thanks! That's excellent. Most of my stuff is mp4 already and what isn't I'm in process of converting from DIVX to MP4. I had DIVX because a portable DVD player I had supported it and only it. A major pain that took pretty much all control away. When it broke I threw a party and then bought another one that supports xvid and mp4.

Back