• Welcome to Overclockers Forums! Join us to reply in threads, receive reduced ads, and to customize your site experience!

Video in Safe Mode, but not normal, please help!

Overclockers is supported by our readers. When you click a link to make a purchase, we may earn a commission. Learn More.

Dakker

Okay heres the problem.

A friend of mine's dad was having some weird problems and was gonna take the computer in to get it fixed. Well, he didn't know how to get the video cable out of the back of the computer, and he pretty much just ripped it in half. All the little sockets are just hanging there, and before I knew this he tried to boot it up to show me what was wrong. Well I had him immediatly turn it off and I disconnected everything. We got a brand new video card for it and put it in.

Now, this is a generic E-Machines computer w/ onboard video. I installed the new video card and cannot for the life of me get it to boot right. After it finishes loading windows the screen goes blank, it makes the boot up sound and then nothing. In safe mode I can get to windows okay, but I cannot pinpoint the problem.

I tried going into device drivers and disabling the on-board video but it gives an error and crashes out of Device Manager. The error is related to MMC(Microsoft Management Console) if I remember correctly.

I'm guessing this is software because it uses the video card in safe mode but not in normal windows. It shows all the boot up screens in both modes but just goes blank after loading normally. I'm going to try a different monitor maybe it was out of that monitors scan range or something, but if anyone has ran into something like this before and can point me in the right direction I would be very appreciative.

Thanks.

Not sure i know what your talking about, it say's it's in VGA mode when it's in safe mode, but i'm sure you already know that... How can i do this?

Yeah I got it to boot to VGA Mode and am trying to reinstall the drivers now.... I'll post in a sec if they work or do not work

Yup that was it, I just wasn't able to install the drivers in safe mode, appreciate the help guys. =)

Back