• Welcome to Overclockers Forums! Join us to reply in threads, receive reduced ads, and to customize your site experience!

viewing computers on a network in knoppix

Overclockers is supported by our readers. When you click a link to make a purchase, we may earn a commission. Learn More.

MadSkillzMan

ive just got myself a linksys router so all of my computers can now connect to the internet...meaning my linux box too...yay....how do i go about viewing the other computers and their contents in linux? and can the MS operating systems see the FAT32 partition of my drive on the network ?

and another thing i never figured out but maybe someone can walk me thru it...i cant seem to write to my fat32 partition in knoppix....its actually a whole drive with ME on it. I did the noob install so i didnt get to set user namess and all that. i heard that only the person who installed it can write to it. So how do i go about logging into that name or fixing it?

ok well, you might want to try linneighborhood for viewing samba shares

and the second question.... if your in knoppix you can mount the fat32 partition and share it via samba-- then the windows mcahines can access it

you have to mount the drive, before you can write to it
no need for user names
at a root shell
#mount /dev/location/of/hard-drive /mnt/location
you also might need to specify a filesystem , with the -t argument

well ive done that..i know that much...right now i can only write to the my documents folder on the hard drive....no other places...why is this?

MadSkillzMan said:
well ive done that..i know that much...right now i can only write to the my documents folder on the hard drive....no other places...why is this?

can only write to my documents, on the fat32 partition?

or your knoppix home direcotry or what

linneighborhood may be a little easier for graphical browsing of remote computers, it's very much like network neighborhood in windows.

How to mount a network share with samba-

Create a user knoppix on the windows box you want to connect to and set a password.

Run these two commands as knoppix-

mkdir /home/knoppix/Desktop/some_dir
smbmount //hostname/sharename /home/knoppix/Desktop/some_dir -o username=knoppix

You'll then get prompted to enter knoppix's password for access to the shared files.

hostname= the name of the winbdows box
sharename= the name of the shared folder/drive
some_dir- is an arbitrary name and will become a folder on your desktop through which you can access the remote files.

Back