• Welcome to Overclockers Forums! Join us to reply in threads, receive reduced ads, and to customize your site experience!

Viewsonic 22" Widescreen LCD $300 (instant rebate online. Coupon in store)

Overclockers is supported by our readers. When you click a link to make a purchase, we may earn a commission. Learn More.

Vaio

Viewsonic 22" Widescreen LCD $300 (instant rebate online. Coupon in store) DEAD

I'm not sure if this has been posted anywhere already, but I found this killer deal today at Costco. It is the Viewsonic 22" Wide LCD Model VX2235wm. It has 5ms, 700:1 contrast, 280 cd/m2 brightness, and a 1680 x 1050 WSXGA+ resolution. I bought one, and I only had one almost dead pixel (it won't close for black, but all the colors look fine) that is only visible if you view a really dark image from the left side. I haven't tried it in any games yet, but it looks like it'll do ectremely well. The cost is $350, but there is a $50 instant rebate online, and a $50 off coupon for in store purchasing. Either way you go about getting it, it should be $300.

Costco link

Last edited:
The thing you hvae to remember is that there is a bit of bleeding with both this and the 19.1 inch models. I have procured three of the 19.1 inch (for personal and work related use) versions and every single one of 'em has the back light leaking through the SE corner. It is not annoying nor is it noticable unless you look closely.

There is a very light amount bleeding through the top edge on mine, but it isn't noticeable unless you really look.

Super Nade said:
The thing you hvae to remember is that there is a bit of bleeding with both this and the 19.1 inch models. I have procured three of the 19.1 inch (for personal and work related use) versions and every single one of 'em has the back light leaking through the SE corner. It is not annoying nor is it noticable unless you look closely.

Heh heh ... right on the $$$ SN . My 22" has the same se corner bleed , but as you say it is bearly noticable and not an annoying type of bleed as with some lcd's . .

Ive had my XV2235 for about a week now and have no real complaints about it . All in all the 22" is a pretty good monitor for gaming and everyday use . Photos are very crisp and clear , and even though this is a 6bit panel (as are all the current 22" panels are) ; its VERY hard to tell .

I was thinking of grabbing the Spectre 22" to compare , but Ive yet to do so ; mainly due to reports of Spectre's support being less than then steller and the fact that the Viewsonic's performance has yet to make me switch (and Viewsonics support has been good to me in the past) .

Last edited:
Friday afternoon, I received my 22" Sceptre from Costco.com, which is essentially the same price as the 22" Viewsonic. Since I don't have both monitors to compare, I can't give you a fair comparison. However, I can give you my first impressions of the Sceptre.

Pros:
1. The thin bezel looks really stylish.
2. Text sharpness through the DVI connection is outstanding. Especially with cleartype.
3. The Sceptre makes a pretty good high def Television. I was able to connect an old Voom box for OTA High Def signals using the HDMI connection. DVDs look pretty good too.
4. Response time is much faster than my old LCD. However, since my last LCD purchase was over three years ago, I can't tell you how the Sceptre's response time compares with any other current models.
5. It has unobtrusive onboard speakers. These speakers are obviously nothing to get excited about, it's a good option to have for a basic office workstations setup.
6. NO BAD PIXELS ! Luck of the draw.

Cons:
1. Mine arived with a small scratch on the left side. It's not visable unless you're looking at the monitor from the side, but it's noticable.
2. The Built-in USB Hub doesn't work.
3. The placement of the buttons on the back (to maintain that stylish look) make it much harder to tweak.
4. There is some significant backlight bleed at both the middle portions of both the top, and the bottom, of this LCD. So far, I've only seen it a black background, but it's definately there.
5. Although the DVI connection works great with a newer video cards, it didn't work with my old Radeon 7500 AIW (yes, I know it's old), nor was I able to connect from my old Voom box directly to the DVI without using a DVI to HDMI cable.

I don't know if the DVI connection issue is a real issue or if it's just the old hardware I'm using, but it would have been nice to have that as another connection option.

Right now, I'm trying to decide if the scratch and the bad USB hub are enough for me to want to return the Sceptre. I loved my Viewsonic CRT, but this time around I don't care much for the look of the bezel they used on thier 22" LCD. I think it looks a little bulky.

Last edited:
I'll tell you one thing that annoys me about Viewsonic LCD is they don't list color depth on their website at all. I know places like Newegg lists it in the specs but newegg can be wrong and doesn't have all the Viewsonic models either.

MadMan007 said:
I'll tell you one thing that annoys me about Viewsonic LCD is they don't list color depth on their website at all. I know places like Newegg lists it in the specs but newegg can be wrong and doesn't have all the Viewsonic models either.

That annoys me as well. However, since all the 22" LCDs I've seen so far use 6-bit TN panels, it's a safe assumption that they are limited to 16.2 million colors. I think the Scepter listed thiers with 16.7 million, but to achieve that with a 6-bit panel requires a bit of dithering, so I think they exagerated the spec.

If you want a wide screen and color depth is a major concern, you might be better served by a 21" LCD (Samsung comes to mind). They aren't as big, and they cost more, but they use the beter 8-bit panels.

A monitor isn't in my near future, I just like to keep up to date on stuff :)

Annoyingly a few other 22" are listed as 16.7mil colors on both newegg AND their manufacturer site! http://www.newegg.com/Product/ProductList.asp?N=2010190020+1309822582&Submit=ENE&SubCategory=20 The Acer and Samsung both say 'up to 16.7million colors' I will be seriously irritated if the manufacturers start 'cheating' that spec by obscuring details like they do with response time and other things already.

I definitly agree about the specs thing (with the lack of info , or truth about specs in some cases) .

Viewsonic "should" be ashamed not to report the FULL specs at its website being one of the major leaders in monitor manufacturing .

However ... Spectre is no better with the question being : What type/make of panel is used in your 22" lcd's , and is it 8bit or 6bit ???
(some other forum replies) .. "Sorry we are not allowed to give out that information " (email) and ... "What ever panel is out and atm , and in the latest production" (phone call to rep) .

For the most part and the general public ... peeps wont care about this info , and thats what companies are banking on with the new BIG and CHEAPER priced lcd's .

Still its a crying shame , we as INFORMED consumers have to work so HARD to TRY and get to the truth in advertising (or the lack there of) .

If you think you can get anything at all out of sceptre you are in for a heck of a shock. Heck I'm surprised that their reps even speak english. Generally speaking when a monitor is listed as up to 16.7 million colors it has dithering. Both obviously are tn panels but what both viewsonic and sceptre did after that still remains to be seen. Sceptre has been know to overstate specs all of the time so I will wait for a head to head compairison before, if at all, I decide which to pick up.

Stereo, if I had the money, I would have jumped on this deal. Viewsonic has given me no problems so far. None of the LCD's I bought are dead or have bad pixles. This is after 3+ years of use, which I find very very remarkable.

Super Nade said:
Stereo, if I had the money, I would have jumped on this deal. Viewsonic has given me no problems so far. None of the LCD's I bought are dead or have bad pixles. This is after 3+ years of use, which I find very very remarkable.

Thx SN for info and reasurance , its good to know .This is my first "Viewsonic" lcd , but definitly not my first Viewsonic monitor . ;)

Personally I do like Viewsonic's quite abit . I purchased four 19" crt's for family christmas presents about 6+ years ago , and they are all still going strong ; they all still look GREAT (colors/sharpness) and have worked flawlessly since day one . This is in part one reason I went with Viewsonic .

I did have to rma a crt once due to damge during shipping (UPS) , so I rmd'ed by going direct/in person to the Viewsonic headquarters in Walnut Calif ; and boy is that place pretty darn cool (and SUPER well gaurded , lol) ; pictured here : http://www.viewsonic.com/companyinfo/index.htm. I was treated VERY well and was in/out with a new monitor within 20 minutes (good service). This is reason number two for going with Viewsonic again .

Sometimes I wonder why Iam looking elsewhere ,when Iam pretty happy with the 22" Viewsonic purchase (and Viewsonic in general) . I think its just the super-thin bezel of the Spectre ,thats teasing me , and nothing more :p .

Last edited:
Picked up the very last one at closest Costco today. I'm really pleased with it for the price. Took a little longer to get the color managemnet down than I expected but is looking great now.

I may go back and get another since they are getting restocked on the 26th and I MUST have 2 of these for Supreme Commander when it comes out.

Back