• Welcome to Overclockers Forums! Join us to reply in threads, receive reduced ads, and to customize your site experience!

Vista 64-bit crashing/freezing on my new build

Overclockers is supported by our readers. When you click a link to make a purchase, we may earn a commission. Learn More.
Idk, maybe I should just have it looked at. Nothing seems to be working.
:bang head

Nah, it's just time to do some methodical troubleshooting. You have a nice fresh O/S install, so pull all of your components, and replace the minimum needed to POST. 1 stick of ram, cpu, 1 gfx card, and an optical drive. You can use a live cd of some kind of Linux to give your system a workout. If it works ok with that, add your hd, and see how you run. Make sure all drivers are up to date, including the chipset, and run with that awhile. If all goes well add another component... and so on.

I'd take a close look at the psu. I'm assuming you've tested the ram thoroughly, so the psu would be next in line, and easy to check. It can also cause some mystery problems that are hard to track down, and not really obvious.

Nah, it's just time to do some methodical troubleshooting. You have a nice fresh O/S install, so pull all of your components, and replace the minimum needed to POST. 1 stick of ram, cpu, 1 gfx card, and an optical drive. You can use a live cd of some kind of Linux to give your system a workout. If it works ok with that, add your hd, and see how you run. Make sure all drivers are up to date, including the chipset, and run with that awhile. If all goes well add another component... and so on.

I'd take a close look at the psu. I'm assuming you've tested the ram thoroughly, so the psu would be next in line, and easy to check. It can also cause some mystery problems that are hard to track down, and not really obvious.

Yeah my PC guy just suggested that same thing. Thanks, I will try this tomorrow.

Yeah my PC guy just suggested that same thing. Thanks, I will try this tomorrow.

Don't get too far ahead... I'm sure your hardware is fine. I'm running a very similar system. I had a couple hiccups in the beginning as well and these steps may be helpful

#1 Check to see that your CPU and DDR are linked in the BIOS (May be unlinked if overclocked)

#2 Disable JMicron controller in the BIOS (used for eSATA). The drivers DO NOT fair well with Vista 64 and causes freezing

#3 Did you have any issues during the installation and/or and crashes during major updates?

#4 Verify your memory voltages are set appropriately as DDR3 consumes less power than we're used to (also verify your timings)

The best suggestion for these builds is to take baby steps and update from bottom up. We only have 2 major drivers, nForce and ForceWare, the rest is making sure all of your windows updates have been installed successfully.

Let me know how it goes :beer:

Don't get too far ahead... I'm sure your hardware is fine. I'm running a very similar system. I had a couple hiccups in the beginning as well and these steps may be helpful

#1 Check to see that your CPU and DDR are linked in the BIOS (May be unlinked if overclocked)

#2 Disable JMicron controller in the BIOS (used for eSATA). The drivers DO NOT fair well with Vista 64 and causes freezing

#3 Did you have any issues during the installation and/or and crashes during major updates?

#4 Verify your memory voltages are set appropriately as DDR3 consumes less power than we're used to (also verify your timings)

The best suggestion for these builds is to take baby steps and update from bottom up. We only have 2 major drivers, nForce and ForceWare, the rest is making sure all of your windows updates have been installed successfully.

Let me know how it goes :beer:

#1: does that mean I go into FSB & Mem Config and set FSB-Memory Clock Mode to "Linked" and then FSB-Memory Ratio to "Sync Mode"?

Regardless, I did that and disabled JMicron, and it is working perfectly so far! It has always crashed dling the initial windows updates, but everything is going really smoothly this time around. Thanks, Krypto! I'm going to play around w/ it a little more and we'll see how it holds up.

Regardless, I did that and disabled JMicron, and it is working perfectly so far! It has always crashed dling the initial windows updates, but everything is going really smoothly this time around. Thanks, Krypto! I'm going to play around w/ it a little more and we'll see how it holds up.

Keep us posted on your progress. You never know what poor soul will have the next obstacle :beer:

If your still having explorer issues I would suggest unistalling IE and performaing a reinstallation of IE 7 or installing Beta 8.

Back