• Welcome to Overclockers Forums! Join us to reply in threads, receive reduced ads, and to customize your site experience!

Vista and freezing issue

Overclockers is supported by our readers. When you click a link to make a purchase, we may earn a commission. Learn More.

RangerJoe

All that is Man!
I have an adaptec 29160 controller and an IBM IC35L036UWPR15-0 drive (36gb, 15k, 8mb cache) single vista installation, no partitions, but I have two IDE backup drives (on secondary channel I think).

While I am booted into vista, (ultimate by the way, retail) I am having a big freezing problem. It will freeze the whole computer for 2-3 seconds (mouse, video, keyboard, sound, everything). Then it works normally. Then when it's really bad, it will happen every 5-10 seconds. Freeze...then work...then freeze, then work...

I would normally think driver problem, but im not relaly sure. the drivers that vista automatically installed are from 10/1/2002 for the scsi controller, I updated those to the most recent ones. I also did the sound drivers, and I just finished installing new ATI video drivers. What else should I focus on as far as definitely updating?

What should I look at as far as problems, what tests can be run, etc?

Thanks

Um I really don't know how to fix that but I have a question for you: Is Vista all it's cracked up to be. I've heard so many conflicting stories about it that I'm not so impressed. A buddy of mine says it's going to be "another Windows ME". What are the ups and downs of Vista?

This might be minor but anything which causes a major IO lock might cause a freeze like this... what I am saying is that you have to look at your chipset drivers and anything related to the motherboard. If a driver does something wonky in the PCI bus, memory bus, or any other mainstream data bus on your motherboard then it can be worked out but you are held in deadlock in the meantime... just making a guess.

So I would focus on updating every motherboard driver you can and hoping that the problem goes away. Also, you can try to look around for other people with that motherboard for a yay or nay on if the motherboard works well with Vista. It simply may have some underlying conflict that the manufacturer may or may not want to fix.

Just a guess... :shrug:

<update>
One other thing. I had a laptop which when it ran the beta version of Vista had major problems with its' synaptic trackpad... yet synaptic was releasing suppositely nice drivers for the Vista beta. A while ago it was determined that the drivers were not at fault... the way the laptop's BIOS handled the keyboard and mouse caused one or the other to fail all the time... I just happened to use the mouse a lot more. So, with a BIOS update, the problem went away. Also, there is no problem and no negative side effects with that BIOS bug present in Windows XP.

Thus... check for a BIOS update... you might be surprised if it fixes your problems.
</update>

Last edited:
ophiodon18 said:
Um I really don't know how to fix that but I have a question for you: Is Vista all it's cracked up to be. I've heard so many conflicting stories about it that I'm not so impressed. A buddy of mine says it's going to be "another Windows ME". What are the ups and downs of Vista?

OMG!!! DONT BUY VISTA! BILL GATES IS TRYING TO DISTROY PCs AND FORCE US ALL TO BUY XBOX 360s!!!!1!!11!one!

Seriously

nukebill.jpg

If you installed "drivers" to run your card or for the motherboard I would uninstall them and let Vista run the Microsoft supplied generic drivers. I've seen this behavior before from faulty RAID and IDE drivers...

"Um I really don't know how to fix that but I have a question for you: Is Vista all it's cracked up to be. I've heard so many conflicting stories about it that I'm not so impressed. A buddy of mine says it's going to be "another Windows ME". What are the ups and downs of Vista?"

Comments like this doing nothing to help people. If you have nothing useful to add try not adding anything at all.

Back