• Welcome to Overclockers Forums! Join us to reply in threads, receive reduced ads, and to customize your site experience!

Vista Complete PC Back-up

Overclockers is supported by our readers. When you click a link to make a purchase, we may earn a commission. Learn More.

Oroka Sempai

So, first thing I did back when I got RTM activated and updated was run the back-up Wizard. That way I wouldnt have to reinstall or activate when I wanted a fresh PC. Yesterday I went back to restore to my back-up, and the back-up wasnt showing up. It was indeed where I saved it still, but no matter what I did, it wouldnt see it. So I did another back-up to see if it would see that one, and it did, but all the file formats were diffrent from my older back-up.

So I wiped Vista and reinstalled it, update, activate and tried to back-up the install again. It says install complete, but will not see the back-up to revert to. I tried burning it to DVD, but it just gets stuck at one point and stays there indefinatly.

Anyone have any trouble with this crap?

I would guess you used File Backup to back up your files, and you're trying to use Complete PC Restore to restore them. These are two different backup applications, so that's why one doesn't recognize the other. File backups are stored at the root of the drive in a folder named after your computer, and within that the folder is called Backup Set 2007-0306 and some numbers.

Complete PC Backups are stored at the root of the drive in a folder named WindowsImageBackup, and within that directory there's a folder named after your computer... and within the folder is the backup image. You might also want to check out the File Backup in Windows Vista FAQ at the FileCab team blog here...

http://blogs.technet.com/filecab/pages/file-backup-in-windows-vista-faq.aspx

Last edited:
I have tried both, nither will acknowledge the old back-up. I managed to do a new complete pc back-up and get it to work, but it still will not burn to DVD. Do I need to use a DVD-RW maybe?

Well, I got a DVD+RW to word for backup on disc, but I think I just turned a DVD+R DL into a coaster :/

Every time I try to back-up to DVD, it says it has to format the disc. Maybe it has to be a RW?

Back