• Welcome to Overclockers Forums! Join us to reply in threads, receive reduced ads, and to customize your site experience!

Vista on 60g ssd

Overclockers is supported by our readers. When you click a link to make a purchase, we may earn a commission. Learn More.

Psittac

Will vista last on a 60g ssd?

It will only be the OS and small programs, everything else can go on a 80g hdd or his 1TB external.

My friend is blind and has my last pc running windows xp. His screen reader is an older version of jaws which won't support anything past xp. I want to get him a 60g ssd sata2 that I saw at micro center for $30

My concern is that xp is going to be unsupported next year and he needs to upgrade, I've got a copy of vista 32-bit thats unused and we found him a free screen reader that he is getting used to so I want to convince him to upgrade.

But I need to know if this 60g ssd will last with vista or am I just wasting my money.

I used Vista 64-bit with a 60 GB SSD (actually 55 GB) with out issue. Now I did turn off hibernation and system restore as I never use them anyways and they can eat a lot of space as well as moving the page file to a mechanical drive. With those steps I had plenty of space for all my programs except games on the SSD with 15-20GB left over.

if your using a old un updated vista you might not get the full speed out of the ssd.
be sure to install SP2

vista had some thing where is could not accesses the smaller size blocks
I thin XP was the same way

Yes, Vista will install and run fine on 60 Gigs with only using small programs. Remember to turn on AHCI in the BIOS before installing Vista.

I had three partitions on a 60 GB SSD, had Windows 7 on one, Windows XP on the other and a third partition for Program Files. All this on a 60 GB SSD.

It is 2012. Windows XP will have support all the way into 2014. I still use Windows XP moreso than Windows 7.

Most definitely get an SSD, it increases speed you actually 'feel' tremendously. But do not force your friend off of Windows XP if he doesn't want it. Transfer his Windows XP to the SSD!

Last edited:
oh I was under the impression that xp was going to be discontinued in 2013

Thanks for all the input, i'm gonna look into turning off system restore and hibernation on my machine because I don't use them either. I've got a 120g ssd and would like to free up a little more space, still got room but a couple more games and it's gonna be full.

Another question, is there any point in a sata2 ssd on an xp machine? Someone mentioned something it would be helpfull if you could elaborate. (incase I can't convince him to go vista)

The system is a pentium 820d 4g ddr2 x1900xt (he's blind video card doesn't matter)

SATA II on WinXP as opposed to what?

WinXP on SSD will be a huge improvement over any mechanical drive.

Back